Best grown in moist, acidic, humusy soils in part shade to full shade. Plants may be grown from seed, but will not flower for 4-5 years. Quicker and better results are obtained from planting corms which are sold by many bulb suppliers and nurseries.
In addition, offsets from mature plants may be harvested and planted.
|Common Name ||Kamal, Lotus|
|Height ||upto 0.50 feet|
|Flower Colour ||Yellow,Pink, Blue, White|
|Bloom Time ||April|
|Difficulty Level ||easy to grow|
Planting and care
- The Lotus plant should be fertilized sparingly for the first year
- Too much fertilizer may cause the Lotus foliage to burn
- A Lotus plant that is established can be fed every 3 or 4 weeks during the growing season
- Care must be taken when inserting fertilizer tabs, because the growing tip and new growth can be damaged
- It is important to protect the Lotus roots from freezing
- Lotus can winter over in the pond if the pond depth is below the freeze line for your area
- In late fall, the yellowed foliage should be cut off and the plant lowered to the deepest part of the pond
- Or you may lift the tubers after the plant has died back during the fall
- If you lift the tubers, store them in a cool, frost-free location until late spring
- To help prevent mildew and rotting, store them in living sphagnum moss
|Sunlight ||Full Sun|
|Watering ||They grow in water|
|Soil ||Muddy water|
|Temperature ||21 C|
|Fertilizer ||Apply any organic fertilizer|
Lotus special feature
Naturalize in moist soils in shaded areas of native plant gardens, shade gardens, woodland gardens or wild/naturalized areas. Also grows well in pond or stream banks or in shady areas of rock gardens.
- The flower is used to brew lotus teas, which relieves cardiac complications and helps to stop bleeding
Frequently Asked Questions
How tall do lotus grow?
On average lotus grows upto 0.50 feet
What color are lotus ?
A lotus plant bears flowers of color Yellow,Pink, Blue, White
How hard is lotus to grow?
How much sunlight does a lotus need?
How much water does a lotus need?
A lotus prefers watering They grow in water
What kind of soil does a lotus need?
What temperature does a lotus like?
How should I fertilize my lotus ?
Apply any organic fertilizer
Wednesday, 22 January 2020
Friday, 09 June 2017
Is this available in other color varieties also.
Tuesday, 02 May 2017
Can we grow it like a climber on the gates?
Please log in to write a review. Log in