Crotalaria is a genus of herbaceous plants and woody shrubs in the Family Fabaceae commonly known as rattlepods. The Crotalaria genus includes about 500 species of herbs and shrubs. Africa is the continent with a majority of Crotalaria species.Common name:
brown hemp, Indian hemp, Madras hemp, or sunn hempColor:
Creamy whiteBloom time:
April to MayHeight:
2.00 to 4.00 feetDifficulty level:
easy to growPlanting & Care
Plants prefer a near-neutral pH range of 5.5â€“7.0. A pH of 6.5 is just about right for most home gardens (slightly acidic to neutral).An accurate soil test will tell you where your pH currently stands. Acidic (sour) soil is counteracted by applying finely ground limestone, and alkaline (sweet) soil is treated with ground sulfur.Sunlight:
Full sun to part shadeSoil:
Dry to mediumTemprature:
16â€“20 Â°C, and 28â€“32 Â°CFertilizer:
Apply any organic fertilizerCare:
- Diligently water your plants.
- Soak the entire root zone at least twice a week in dry summer weather.
- Avoid frequent shallow sprinklings, which wonâ€™t reach the deeper roots and may encourage fungus.
- Plants do best with 90 inches of rain per year, so unless you live in a rain forest, water regularly.
Borders, cottage gardens, prairies, meadows and native plant gardens. Effective in naturalized settings. Best as a specimen or in small groups. UseCulinary use:Ornamental use:
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
No serious insect or disease problems.