A coconut tree is an exceptional plant which is at home in tropical countries. With its pinnate leaves the coconut palm is beautiful to look at.
If you have access to a fresh coconut, you might think that it would be fun to grow a coconut plant, and you would be right. Growing a coconut palm tree is easy and fun. Below you will find the steps for planting coconuts and growing coconut palms from them.Coconuts are exotic, edible fruits produced in coconut trees.The coconut tree is a kind of palm tree with a single, straight trunk and it has got lots of uses and great importance since prehistoric times. It is one of those trees where you can find uses for all the parts including the fruits, wood and leaves. In many places in South India, coconut trees are widely cultivated and they are grown in homes as well as farms for profit as well as for home use.Easily grown in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils in full sun. Prefers fertile, slightly alkaline, loose, somewhat gritty loams with good drainage. Add lime to acidic soils to adjust the soil pH. Best grown with regular and consistent moisture during the growing season.
|Plant Height||30 inch (76 cm)|
|Plant Spread ||7 inch (18 cm)|
*above specification are indicative only. actual dimensions may vary by +-10%
|Common Name ||nariyal,coconut,daap,kopra|
|Maximum Reachable Height ||Upto 30 m|
|Flower Colour ||white flower seen inside coconut when broken(its seen rarely)|
|Bloom Time ||May to june.|
|Difficulty Level ||Easy to grow.|
Planting and care First, water the coconut tree frequently. As long as the soil drains well, you really cant water it too often.
If you decide to repot your coconut tree, remember to add sand or vermiculite to the new soil to keep the water draining well.
Second, growing coconut palms are heavy feeders that require regular, complete fertilizer.
Look for a fertilizer that provides both the basic nutrients plus trace nutrients like boron, manganese and magnesium. Third, coconut palms are very cold sensitive. If you live in an area that gets cold, your coconut plant will need to come inside for the winter.
Provide supplemental light and keep it away from drafts.
In the summer, grow it outdoors and make sure you place it in a very sunny and warm spot.
To start to grow a coconut plant, begin with a fresh coconut that still has the husk on it. When you shake it, it still should sound like it has water in it. Soak it in water for two to three days. After the coconut has soaked, place it in a container filled with well-draining potting soil.
|Sunlight ||Full sun.|
|Watering ||From May to September, the palm should be abundantly watered ,however without drowning the plant. From October, the amount of water can be slightly reduced.|
|Soil ||Well-drained soil. The soil should be sandy-loamy and alkaline which is the beach/cayes environment.|
|Temperature ||21 C and above|
|Fertilizer ||Starting in spring, the coconut palm should be fertilized with liquid fertilizer.|
- As most of us already know, the most common uses come from the edible fruits known as coconuts
- Coconuts can be eaten either raw or cooked and they are rich in vitamins, minerals and powerful antioxidants
- The white flesh of the fruit need to be separated from the outer hard shell and you may use a coconut scraper to grate the fruit or use a coconut meat removal knife to separate the flesh, after opening the shell
- The freshly grated coconuts can be easily added to your recipes or you can store it in refrigerator for few days
- Coconut milk is also very popular and it is widely used in many Asian cuisines, especially in South India, Sri Lanka and Thailand
- It is usually used to thicken soups and stews and you can also use it as a substitute for milk
- Coconut water is different from the coconut milk
- When you break the hard shell of coconut to open it, the fruit has a mildly sweet water inside which is known for its extreme health benefits
- This is wonderful natural drink and it is very popular during the summer season
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do coconut plants grow?
Coconut plant grow outdoor with 1. Sunlight- At least 6 hours of natural direct bright sunlight is required. 2. Soil- Soil should be well drained, fertile and nutrient rich. 3. Water- Water the plant when 1-2 inch surface soil layer feels dry to touch.Do not over water the plant. 4. Fertilizer-Apply any organic fertilizer during the main growing season (June-July).
Does coconut oil help plants grow?
No, Coconut oil don't help to grow plant.
How to plant coconut tree?
To plant Coconut tree consider the following points.
1. To grow plant in pot, choose a pot having of 7-10 inch upper diameter and drainage holes. 2. Fill the 1/3 pot with well drained soil rich in organic content and place the plant in the center of the pot.
3. Fill the remaining pot with same soil.
4. Keep the plant in indirect bright light location for 2-3 days and then gradually move to a location that receives more than 6 hours of direct sunlight. 5. Once the plant is overgrown in current pot, plant it in field. If you are planting purchased plant directly in ground follow below procedure. 1. Keep the plant in indirect bright light for 3-4 days and gradually move to a location receiving direct sunlight for more than 6 hours a day. 2. Dig a pit twice the size of the bag/pot the current plant is in. 3. Fill the 1/3 of pit with soil rich in organic content, place the plant in center and fill the pit with same soil. 4. Apply water. General caring tips- Plant should get more than 6 hours of sunlight a day. Water the plant when surface soil (1-2 inch) feels dry to touch. Apply any organic fertilizer during the main growing season (June-July).
How many coconut plants per acre?
Coconut planting varies according planting distance. 1 acre accommodates 62 plants at 8 x 8 m. sq.
Is coconut plant based?
Yes, Coconut is grow on Coconut palm and it is a plantation crop.
Why is my coconut plant dying?
The main reasons of dying coconut plant are as follows 1. Due to over watering to plant. 2.Coconut plant does not get proper sunlight. 3.Lack of Nutrient. 4.Disease and pest infestation.
Is coconut a plantation crop?
Yes, Coconut is plantation crop.
When to plant coconut tree?
June-July is best time to plant coconut tree.
Where to plant coconut tree according to vastu?
Coconut is planted in south-west direction as per vastu shastra
Wednesday, 18 March 2020
Do you provide the plant with soil, and in grown condition?
Thursday, 05 March 2020
Awesome seeds. All grow and are great.
Friday, 07 February 2020
A happy customer ?? But like could the rate be a bit reasonably else all good ... thanks
Please log in to write a review. Log in