Schefflera actinophylla is a tree in the Araliaceae family. It is native to tropical rainforests and gallery forests in Australia, New Guinea and Java. Common names include Queensland umbrella tree, octopus tree and amate.Common name:
Rarely flowers indoorsHeight:
40.00 to 50.00 feetDifficulty level:
easy to growPlanting & Care
Before you plant, be sure that you choose varieties proven in your climate. When in doubt, All-America Rose Selections winners are good bets. Or check with your local nursery.If you order plants from a mail-order company, order early, in January or February (March at the latest). Sunlight:
Full sun to part shadeSoil:
Apply any organic fertilizerCare:
- Plants love waterâ€”but donâ€™t drown them.
- That is, they donâ€™t like to sit in water, and theyâ€™ll die if the soil is too wet in winter.
- The ideal soil is rich and loose, with good drainage.
- One of the worst mistakes you can make is to not provide adequate drainage.
- Use mulch.
Low-maintenance potted plant. UseCulinary use:Ornamental use:
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
No serious insect or disease problems. Soft rot, bacterial leaf spot. Watch for mealybugs, aphids, spider mites, thrips and scale.