About Annona Squamosa
This tree should only be planted outdoors in frost-free areas protected from cold winds. It is best grown in rich, evenly moist but well-drained soils in full sun to part shade. Tolerates average soils.
A small tropical tree, indigenous to the Amazon rainforest, growing up to 30 feet tall.
The leaves are thin, oblong while the flowers are greenish yellow. Flowers are oblong, never fully open, with 1 in long, drooping stalks, and 3 fleshy outer petals, yellow-green on the outside and pale-yellow inside with a purple or dark-red spot at the base.The avoid or conical fruit, with a purple knobby skin, is very sweet and is eaten fresh or can be used for shakes. The fruit is juicy and creamy white; it may contain up to 40 black seeds. These seeds are poisonous.
|Plant Height||19 inch (48 cm)|
|Plant Spread ||9 inch (23 cm)|
*above specification are indicative only. actual dimensions may vary by +-10%
|Common Name ||Sugar Apple, Custard apple, Sita Phal, Sharifa|
|Maximum Reachable Height ||20 to 30 feet|
|Flower Colour ||Yellow-green on the outside and pale-yellow inside |
|Bloom Time ||Summer, Spring|
|Difficulty Level ||Easy to grow|
Planting and careSugar apple is normally fairly low maintenance and quite easy to grow, as long as a level of basic care is provided throughout the year. Sugar apple is normally fairly low maintenance and quite easy to grow, as long as a level of basic care is provided throughout the year. Growing sugar apple tree requires weed management. the sugar apple is susceptible to wind damage. Therefore, it should be planted in a location that is sheltered from the wind.
Annona Squamosa care
propagation is vegetative propagation using grafts. This method is the most recommended because it ensures plants with the same genetic identity, with a better production, healthy tree and quality fruits. Plant spacing is 5 X 5 m. The plantation is done in the rainy season.
|Sunlight ||Full sun to part shade|
|Soil ||Rich, evenly moist but well-drained soil|
|Temperature ||25 to 41 degrees C|
|Fertilizer ||Apply any organic fertilizer|
|Harvest Season ||Summer, Spring|
Annona Squamosa special feature
The flesh is fragrant and sweet, creamy white through light yellow, and resembles and tastes like custard.
Annona Squamosa uses
- The plant is used for an ornamental purpose
- The bark and leaves contain annonaine, an alkaloid
- In tropical America, a decoction of the leaves is used as a cold remedy and to clarify urine
- A bark decoction is used to stop diarrhoea, while the root is used in the treatment of dysentery
Sugar-apple is high in energy, an excellent source of vitamin C and manganese, a good source of thiamine and vitamin B6, and provides vitamin B2, B3 B5, B9, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium in fair quantities
- Note: USe only after consulting the specialist
- The ripe fruits are edible
- The sweetish fruit varies considerably in quality; some are eaten raw but most often they are used in preserves, drinks, ice cream, puddings etc
Frequently Asked Questions
How to plant sitaphal seeds?
To plant Sitaphal seed consider the following points 1. Use a pot having 7-10 inch upper diameter and drainage holes. 2. Fill the pot with well drained soil. To sow seeds make a hole about 1/2 inch in soil, place seeds in it, cover with soil and apply water. 3. Maintain the moisture in soil by applying water if soil in pot (1-2 inch) feels dry to touch. 4. Keep the pot at a location receiving indirect bright light. Seeds will germinate within a week. Note - For further details check the product description.
How to plant sitafal?
To plant Sitafal tree consider the following points
1. To grow Sitafal plant in pot, choose a pot having of 7-10 inch upper diameter and drainage holes. 2. Fill the 1/3 pot with well drained soil rich in organic content and place the plant in the center of the pot.
3. Fill the remaining pot with same soil.
4. Keep the plant in indirect bright light location for 2-3 days and then gradually move to a location that receives more than 6 hours of direct sunlight. 5. Once the plant is overgrown in current pot, plant it in field. If you are planting purchased plant directly in ground follow below procedure. 1. Keep the plant in indirect bright light for 3-4 days and gradually move to a location receiving direct sunlight for more than 6 hours a day. 2. Dig a pit twice the size of the bag/pot the current plant is in. 3. Fill the 1/3 of pit with soil rich in organic content, place the plant in center and fill the pit with same soil. 4. Apply water. General caring tips- Plant should get more than 6 hours of sunlight a day. Water the plant when surface soil (1-2 inch) feels dry to touch. Apply any organic fertilizer during the main growing season(June-July).
Wednesday, 12 February 2020
what are the dimensions of the pot?
Monday, 18 November 2019
plant was delivered in excellent condition there was no damage .
Monday, 18 November 2019
Received in good condition. Liked them very much!
Please log in to write a review. Log in