About Annona Squamosa
Well-branched tree or shrub from the family Annonaceae that bears edible fruits called sugar-apples. It tolerates a tropical lowland.
|Plant Height||13 inch (33 cm)|
|Plant Spread ||6 inch (15 cm)|
*above specification are indicative only. actual dimensions may vary by +-10%
|Common Name ||Sugar Apple, Custard apple, Sita Phal, Sharifa|
|Maximum Reachable Height ||10 to 20 feet (3 to 6 m)|
|Flower Colour ||Yellow-green |
|Bloom Time ||Summer, Spring|
|Difficulty Level ||Easy to grow|
Planting and careThere must be adequate moisture in the soil to encourage vegetative growth and blooms that occur on the new branches. The tree should be watered in every 2 to 4 weeks during the period of low growth and every 3 to 5 days while it is flowering and setting fruits. Sugar apple is normally fairly low maintenance and quite easy to grow, as long as a level of basic care is provided throughout the year. Growing sugar apple tree requires weed management. the sugar apple is susceptible to wind damage. Therefore, it should be planted in a location that is sheltered from the wind.
Annona Squamosa care
Seed propagation is the traditional method, through which the sugar apple tree is grown. It is the most used propagation method. Plant spacing is 5 X 5 m. The plantation is done in the rainy season.
|Sunlight ||Full Sun to Partial Shade|
|Watering ||Medium, to improve the fruit size and yield you should be done one or two irrigation when fruits are developing|
|Soil ||Custard apples grow best in sandy loam soils, but well-structured clay loams are also suitable|
|Temperature ||25 to 41 degrees C|
|Fertilizer ||Apply any organic fertilizer |
|Harvest Season ||Summer, Spring|
Annona Squamosa special feature
Sugar apples (Annona squamosa) are the fruit of one of the most commonly grown Annona trees.
Annona Squamosa uses
- The bark and leaves contain annonaine, an alkaloid
- In tropical America, a decoction of the leaves is used as a cold remedy and to clarify urine
- A bark decoction is used to stop diarrhoea, while the root is used in the treatment of dysentery
Sugar-apple is high in energy, an excellent source of vitamin C and manganese, a good source of thiamine and vitamin B6, and provides vitamin B2, B3 B5, B9, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium in fair quantities
- Note: USe only after consulting the specialist
- The ripe fruits are edible
- The sweetish fruit varies considerably in quality; some are eaten raw but most often they are used in preserves, drinks, ice cream, puddings etc
Frequently Asked Questions
How to plant sitaphal seeds?
To plant Sitaphal seed consider the following points 1. Use a pot having 7-10 inch upper diameter and drainage holes. 2. Fill the pot with well drained soil. To sow seeds make a hole about 1/2 inch in soil, place seeds in it, cover with soil and apply water. 3. Maintain the moisture in soil by applying water if soil in pot (1-2 inch) feels dry to touch. 4. Keep the pot at a location receiving indirect bright light. Seeds will germinate within a week. Note - For further details check the product description.
How to plant sitafal?
To plant Sitafal tree consider the following points
1. To grow Sitafal plant in pot, choose a pot having of 7-10 inch upper diameter and drainage holes. 2. Fill the 1/3 pot with well drained soil rich in organic content and place the plant in the center of the pot.
3. Fill the remaining pot with same soil.
4. Keep the plant in indirect bright light location for 2-3 days and then gradually move to a location that receives more than 6 hours of direct sunlight. 5. Once the plant is overgrown in current pot, plant it in field. If you are planting purchased plant directly in ground follow below procedure. 1. Keep the plant in indirect bright light for 3-4 days and gradually move to a location receiving direct sunlight for more than 6 hours a day. 2. Dig a pit twice the size of the bag/pot the current plant is in. 3. Fill the 1/3 of pit with soil rich in organic content, place the plant in center and fill the pit with same soil. 4. Apply water. General caring tips- Plant should get more than 6 hours of sunlight a day. Water the plant when surface soil (1-2 inch) feels dry to touch. Apply any organic fertilizer during the main growing season(June-July).
Friday, 31 January 2020
Fresh and beautiful, Must buy!
Friday, 22 November 2019
Nice plant without any damages????
Monday, 11 November 2019
Very nice plant. Got delivered with very good condition. Gonna order one more
Please log in to write a review. Log in