Watercress is an aquatic plant species with the botanical name Nasturtium officinale. This should not be confused with the profoundly different and unrelated group of plants with the common name of nasturtium, within the genus Tropaeolum.
*above specification are indicative only. actual dimensions may vary by +-10%
|Common Name ||garden cress
|Maximum Reachable Height || 1.00 to 2.00 feet|
|Flower Colour ||white|
|Bloom Time ||May to frost|
|Difficulty Level ||easy to grow|
Planting and care
Keep soil moist at all times. Make sure there s always water in the plastic tray.
Trim the watercress.
Being semi-aquatic, watercress is well-suited to hydroponic cultivation, thriving best in water that is slightly alkaline.
It is frequently produced around the headwaters of chalk streams.
|Sunlight ||Full sun to part shade|
|Soil || well-drained soil|
|Temperature || 55 degrees|
|Fertilizer ||Apply any organic fertilizer
Watercress special feature
Simply plant into the 'mulm' or muddy shallows if planting in a bog garden, put on a shelf of your pond or plant it in a pot!
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose
- It acts as a mild stimulant and a digestive aid
- It also appears to have cancer-suppressing properties
- It is widely believed to help defend against lung cancer
- It is one of the oldest known leaf vegetables consumed by humans
- Watercress has a pungent, slightly bitter taste, with a peppery snap
- It is popular in salads and as a garnish, and may be used in soups, salads, and diverse cooked dishes
- Watercress is one of the main ingredients in V8 Vegetable Juice
Frequently Asked Questions
What is another name for a Watercress ?
Watercress is commonly known as garden cress
How tall do Watercress grow?
On average Watercress grows 1.00 to 2.00 feet
What color are Watercress ?
A Watercress plant bears flowers of color white
When Watercress blooms?
With enough light, Watercress may produce white flowers in May to frost
How hard is Watercress to grow?
A Watercress is easy to grow
How much sunlight does a Watercress need?
A Watercress prefers Full sun to part shade
How much water does a Watercress need?
A Watercress prefers watering Medium
What kind of soil does a Watercress need?
A Watercress prefers well-drained soil
What temperature does a Watercress like?
A Watercress prefers 55 degrees
How often should I fertilize my Watercress ?
To encourage Watercress growth, Apply any organic fertilizer
Wednesday, 25 September 2019
Very small but looking cute
Please log in to write a review. Log in