Menyanthes is a monotypic genus of flowering plant in the family Menyanthaceae containing the single species Menyanthes trifoliata.
*above specification are indicative only. actual dimensions may vary by +-10%
|Common Name ||Menyanthes trifoliata|
|Maximum Reachable Height ||0.75 to 1.00 feet|
|Flower Colour || whitish-pink|
|Bloom Time || May to June|
|Difficulty Level ||easy to grow
Planting and care
Full Sunlight. Grows in very moist soil, bogs, and shallow water. Peaty soil. Cool area. Regular watering to maintain heavy moisture, best grown in a container at the edge of a pond. Deadhead. Once established do not disturb unless they become overcrowded.
Members of the Menyanthes genus are hardy Perennials.They naturally grow in boggy and watery areas and have green leaves and white star shaped flowers.They flower from spring through to summer.Common names for Menyanthes include Bog bean and Buck bean.
Grow in baskets in a large pond in water up to 25cm deep, or grow in muddy pool margins. Grow in full sun to encourage flowering
|Sunlight || Full sun to part shade|
|Soil || well-drained soil|
|Temperature ||minus 25c|
|Fertilizer ||Apply any organic fertilizer |
Bogbean special feature
Transitional plant for water gardens and ponds. Bog gardens.
- Bogbean is a plant
- The bogbean fruit resembles a small bean and is commonly found in swamps or bogs, which is the reason for its name
- People use the bogbean leaf to make medicine
- Bogbean is used for achy joints (rheumatism), rheumatoid arthritis, loss of appetite, and upset stomach
- Bogbean contains the bitter glucosides, menyanthin (found in the leaves) and loganin (found in the roots)
- It also contains a small amount of volatile oil and the flavonglycosides, hyperoside and rutin
- This strongly bitter herb has been utilised for a long time as a folk medicine
Frequently Asked Questions
What is another name for a Bogbean ?
Bogbean is commonly known as Menyanthes trifoliata
How tall do Bogbean grow?
On average Bogbean grows 0.75 to 1.00 feet
What color are Bogbean ?
A Bogbean plant bears flowers of color whitish-pink
When Bogbean blooms?
With enough light, Bogbean may produce whitish-pink flowers in May to June
How hard is Bogbean to grow?
A Bogbean is easy to grow
How much sunlight does a Bogbean need?
A Bogbean prefers Full sun to part shade
How much water does a Bogbean need?
A Bogbean prefers watering wet
What kind of soil does a Bogbean need?
A Bogbean prefers well-drained soil
What temperature does a Bogbean like?
A Bogbean prefers minus 25c
How often should I fertilize my Bogbean ?
To encourage Bogbean growth, Apply any organic fertilizer
Monday, 11 November 2019
Love how cute the plant is..
Please log in to write a review. Log in