Cicely /ˈsɪsəli/ or sweet cicely is a herbaceous perennial plant belonging to the celery family Apiaceae. It is one of two accepted species in the genus Myrrhis.Common name:
May to JuneHeight:
2.00 to 3.00 feetDifficulty level:
easy to growPlanting & Care
Sweet Cicely is an attractive plant that is a striking component of herb gardens and hedgerows. This early flowering perennial is renowned for its aniseed taste and fragrance. It is in growth and in flower before most other umbellifers are even thinking of it, a really useful precursor to the Ammi genus such as Ammi majus. Sunlight:
well-drained soil Water:
10C - 15C (50F - 59F) Fertilizer:
Apply any organic fertilizer Care:
- Sweet Cicely seeds like many others germinate easily when they are fresh from the plant.
- As they dry out the germination inhibitors develop and need a period of cold to help break them down.
- They are easiest grown when sown directly outdoors in a seedbed in autumn.
Native plant gardens. Woodland gardens. For harvesting purposes, gather the gather the edible roots, flowers and leaves in spring. Dry roots for later herb use.UseMedicinal use:
- Sweet Cicely has been used in medicine for centuries, all parts of this herb were used.
- As Culpeper wrote “It is so harmless you cannot use it amiss.
It is good for the digestive system and a wonderful tonic herb, it will lift the spirits and banish gloomy thoughts.
- The volatile oils and flavonoids in the plant are antiseptic and will purify the blood, act as a carminative and improve appetite.
- Sweet Cicely used to be grown in kitchen gardens near the door.
- All parts of the plant can be used: leaves, roots, flowers and seed.
- The flavour is sweet and aniseed like.
The leaves can be cooked like spinach, added to soups, omelettes and custards or used fresh in salads.
- The crisp stalks make a good substitute for celery after light cooking.
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose
for medicinal use
Saturday, 28 September 2019
Plant reached in excellent condition along with promised pot
Please log in to write a review. Log in