Irises are perennial plants, growing from creeping rhizomes or, in drier climates, from bulbs. They may be bearded or beardless. They have long, erect flowering stems which may be simple or branched, solid or hollow, and flattened or circular. The bulbous species have cylindrical, basal leaves.
The inflorescences are in the shape of a fan and contain one or more symmetrical six-lobed flowers.
|Common Name ||Iris|
|Height ||Up to 4 feet|
|Flower Colour ||Yellow|
|Bloom Time ||Late winter, early spring
|Difficulty Level ||Easy to grow|
Planting and care
- Water a plant when the soil feels dry to touch
- Water thoroughly in the summer and reduce watering for the winter & rainy season
Try to water the plants in the morning around 8-10am
You should remove dead, infected or damaged plant parts and throw in the garbage collector
You should fertilize a plant mostly in the spring season, flower bud stage
Mulch the potting mix with organic material
- They are best planted in September to December in warm sunny positions or in the autumn
- Sowing season of Tulip in the autumn and early winter season
- Before sowing, you can keep the bulb in the refrigerator in a ventilated mesh bag for 12 to 14 weeks
- The highest chilling temperature is around 4 C
Dig a hole about three times as deep as the height of the bulb
- Set the bulb in the hole, then covers with soil and press firmly
- Planting space of bulbs 4 to 6 inches apart
- Water thoroughly after planting
- Use the potting mix for bulb plantation as Garden soil + Compost + Perlite + Sand (2:2:1:1)
Soil + Cocopeat + vermicompost (2:1:2)
|Sunlight ||Full sun|
|Soil ||sandy loam soil|
|Temperature ||16 to 30 degrees C|
|Fertilizer ||Fertilize in early spring with an all-purpose fertilizer scratched in around the plants, avoiding direct contact.|
|Harvest Season ||Spring|
Iris special feature
- Iris is extensively grown as an ornamental plant in a home and botanical gardens
Frequently Asked Questions
How tall do iris grow?
On average iris grows Up to 4 feet
What color are iris ?
A iris plant bears flowers of color Yellow
How hard is iris to grow?
How much sunlight does a iris need?
How much water does a iris need?
A iris prefers watering Moderately
What kind of soil does a iris need?
What temperature does a iris like?
How should I fertilize my iris ?
Fertilize in early spring with an all-purpose fertilizer scratched in around the plants, avoiding direct contact.
Monday, 03 February 2020
Thursday, 01 June 2017
Hom much height it can grow ?
Monday, 22 May 2017
is it possible to grow these in delhi nowdays at home in pots?
Please log in to write a review. Log in