Hyacinthus is a small genus of bulbous flowering plants in the family Asparagaceae, subfamily Scilloideae. Plants are commonly called hyacinths. Hyacinthus grows from bulbs, each producing around four to six linear leaves and one to three spikes (racemes) of flowers.
This hyacinth has a single dense spike of fragrant flowers in shades of red, blue, white, orange, pink, violet, or yellow. A form of the common hyacinth is the less hardy and smaller blue or white-petalled Roman hyacinth of florists. These flowers should have indirect sunlight and are to be moderately watered.
|Common Name ||Hyacinth, Dutch hyacinth, Roman hyacinth |
|Height ||Up to 18 inch
|Flower Colour ||Pink|
|Bloom Time ||Spring|
|Difficulty Level ||Easy to grow|
Planting and care
- Water a plant when the soil feels dry to touch
- Water thoroughly in the summer and reduce watering for the winter & rainy season
Try to water the plants in the morning around 8-10am
You should remove dead, infected or damaged plant parts and throw in the garbage collector
You should fertilize a plant mostly in the spring season, flower bud stage
Mulch the potting mix with organic material
- Hyacinth bulbs are planted in the fall and blooms in spring
- Before sowing, you can keep the bulb in the refrigerator in a ventilated mesh bag for 12 to 14 weeks
- The highest chilling temperature is around 4 C
- Space the bulbs approximately three inches apart
- Plant them up to three inches deep
- Use the potting mix for bulb plantation as:
Garden soil + Compost + Perlite + Sand (2:2:1:1)
Soil + Cocopeat + vermicompost (2:1:2)
|Sunlight ||Full Sun to Partial sunlight|
|Soil ||Sandy loam soil|
|Temperature ||20 to 30 degrees C|
|Fertilizer ||Use any organic fertilizer.|
Hyacinth special feature
- Group or mass planted in beds, borders, rock gardens, long walks
- Effectively mixes with other spring flowering bulbs
Frequently Asked Questions
How tall do hyacinth grow?
On average hyacinth grows Up to 18 inch
What color are hyacinth ?
A hyacinth plant bears flowers of color Pink
How hard is hyacinth to grow?
A hyacinth is Easy to grow
How much sunlight does a hyacinth need?
A hyacinth prefers Full Sun to Partial sunlight
How much water does a hyacinth need?
A hyacinth prefers watering moderately
What kind of soil does a hyacinth need?
What temperature does a hyacinth like?
How should I fertilize my hyacinth ?
Use any organic fertilizer.
Saturday, 08 February 2020
Thursday, 21 November 2019
Can this be grown in terrace.
Please log in to write a review. Log in