A tropical powerhouse, the golden dewdrop plant (more commonly known as duranta) is a fast-growing tropical shrub with beautiful blooms and fantastic foliage.
With the potential to become quite large where they are hardy (some varieties reaching over 15 feet!), these plants make great, quick-growing, warm-season annuals, and can even act as houseplants. Grown primarily for its bountiful blue blooms, many varieties of duranta also have highly ornamental golden foliage.
18 inch (46 cm)
5 inch (13 cm)
*above specification are indicative only. actual dimensions may vary by +-10%
Duranta, Sky flower, Golden dewdrop, Pigeon berry
Maximum Reachable Height
Blue, violet, white
Easy to grow
Planting and care
Slow -fertilizers help encourage prolific flowering and fruiting.
It is important to water frequently while the plant is establishing.
Some renewal pruning is necessary to keep a nice shape.
Duranta plants need full light to get the energy they need to make blooms and berries. Plants growing in too much shade get lanky and sparse.
Duranta Green care
Dig holes or beds wide, not deep. Lightly amend heavy clay or sandy soils with organic matter. Gently remove plants from containers, keeping the root ball intact. Loosen potting soil and roots around bottom and edges of the root ball. Level plant with the surrounding soil, spreading roots outward. Fill roots around with lightly amended native soil. Water to settle soil around roots. Cover the area with leaf or bark mulch 1 - 3 inches thick but not piled up onto the plant s stem/trunk
Water deeply. Stake large shrubs or trees to prevent excess movement in strong winds.
Full Sun, Partial Sun
Rich organic soil that is somewhat loamy and drains well.
About 20-25 degrees C
Apply organic fertilizer
Duranta Green uses
Perfect for planting around patios, foundations or among border plantings
Beautiful when planted in large patio containers
Grow as a small tree in frost-free climates
Frequently Asked Questions
How to plant Duranta?
Consider the following points to plant Duranta 1. To plant Duranta in pot, choose a pot having of 5-7 inch upper diameter and drainage holes. 2. Fill the 1/3 pot with well-drained soil rich in organic content and place the plant in the center of the pot.
3. Fill the remaining pot with the same soil.
4. Keep the plant in indirect bright light location for 2-3 days and then gradually move to a location that receives 4-6 hours of direct sunlight. If you are planting purchased plant directly in ground follow below procedure. 1. Keep the plant in indirect bright light for 3-4 days and gradually move to a location receiving direct sunlight for 4-6 hours a day. 2. Dig a pit twice the size of the bag/pot the current plant is in. 3. Fill the 1/3 of pit with soil rich in organic content, place the plant in center and fill the pit with same soil. 4. Apply water General caring tips Plant should get 4-6 hours of sunlight a day. Water the plant when surface soil (1-2 inch) feels dry to touch. Apply any organic fertilizer during the main growing season.
How to prune Duranta plant?
Without pruning, Duranta plants grow out of bounds and take over paths, neighboring plants or even structures. Cutaway dead, damaged or diseased branches at the base of the tree. Remove old wood that no longer flowers. Use loppers for branches too large for the pruning shears. Prune overgrowth back to a pleasing shape and size. Remove the longest branches at the tree base to control height and spread. Cut off branches that grow close to the ground. Remove these branches at the trunk, leaving a clearing below the tree.
What is Duranta plant?
Duranta is a genus of flowering shrub belong to family Verbenaceae. It is widely cultivated as an ornamental plant and mostly for hedge purposes.
How to plant Duranta hedge?
To plant through Duranta hedge consider the following points. Select a location where 4-6 hours of direct bright light is available. Dig a long trench (5-6 inches deep) as per the availability of space. Fill the 1/3 of trench with soil rich in organic content, place the plant in center and fill the pit with same soil generally 5 plants per metre is ideal, Use a line to make sure they are planted in a straight row and space the plants at exactly 20cm intervals. Apply water. General caring tips plant should get 4-6 hours of sunlight a day. Water the plant when surface soil (1-2 inch) feels dry to touch. Apply any organic fertilizer during the main growing (monsoon)season(July to September).
Is Duranta plant a perennial?
Yes, Duranta plant is a perennial.
How to propagate Duranta plant?
You can propagate Duranta plant through seed and stem cuttings.
Where to plant Duranta?
You can plant Duranta outdoor where direct bright light is available.
Is Duranta plant poisonous?
Yes, the Duranta plant is mildly toxic if digested.
How to plant Duranta from cuttings?
Consider the following point to plant Duranta from cuttings 1. To propagate take pencil size cutting of well mature stem to a length of 16-18 cm and remove any flowers leaves from it.
2. Then dip the bottom of the cutting in rooting hormone, and place the 3/4 portion cutting into a small container with well-draining soil and water the cuttings.
3. Rooting will start within 1-2 weeks.
Note - For further details check the product description on nurserylive.com
How to grow Duranta plant?
Duranta plant is grown by seeds and cuttings. Consider the following points to grow a plant. 1. Sunlight- 4-6 hours of natural direct bright sunlight is required.
2. Soil- Soil or potting mixture should be well-drained, fertile and nutrient-rich.
3. Water-Water the plant when a 1-2 inches surface soil layer feels dry to touch.
4. Fertilizer - Apply any organic fertilizer once a month. Note - For further details check the product description on nurserylive.com