Annona squamosa is a small, well-branched tree or shrub from the family Annonaceae that bears edible fruits called sugar-apples. The ripe fruits are filled with edible juicy pulp surrounding the seeds.
This tree should only be planted outdoors in frost-free areas protected from cold winds. It is best grown in rich, evenly moist but well-drained soils in full sun to part shade. Tolerates average soils.A small tropical tree, indigenous to the Amazon rainforest, growing up to 30 feet tall.
The leaves are thin, oblong while the flowers are greenish yellow. Flowers are oblong, never fully open, with 1 in long, drooping stalks, and 3 fleshy outer petals, yellow-green on the outside and pale-yellow inside with a purple or dark-red spot at the base. The avoid or conical fruit, with a purple knobby skin, is very sweet and is eaten fresh or can be used for shakes. The fruit is juicy and creamy white; it may contain up to 40 black seeds. These seeds are poisonous.
||24 inch (61 cm)
||6 inch (15.2 cm)
*above specification are indicative only. actual dimensions may vary by +-10%
||Sugar Apple, Custard apple, Sita Phal, Sharifa
|Maximum Reachable Height
||20 to 30 feet
||Yellow-green on the outside and pale-yellow inside
||Easy to grow
Planting and care
Sugar apple is normally fairly low maintenance and quite easy to grow, as long as a level of basic care is provided throughout the year.Sugar apple is normally fairly low maintenance and quite easy to grow, as long as a level of basic care is provided throughout the year.Growing sugar apple tree requires weed management.the sugar apple is susceptible to wind damage. Therefore, it should be planted in a location that is sheltered from the wind.
Annona Squamosa care
propagation is vegetative propagation using grafts. This method is the most recommended because it ensures plants with the same genetic identity, with a better production, healthy tree and quality fruits. Plant spacing is 5 X 5 m. The plantation is done in the rainy season.
||Full sun to part shade
||Rich, evenly moist but well-drained soil
||25 to 41 degrees C
||Apply any organic fertilizer
Annona Squamosa special feature
The flesh is fragrant and sweet, creamy white through light yellow, and resembles and tastes like custard.
Annona Squamosa uses
- The plant is used for an ornamental purpose
- The bark and leaves contain annonaine, an alkaloid
- In tropical America, a decoction of the leaves is used as a cold remedy and to clarify urine
- A bark decoction is used to stop diarrhoea, while the root is used in the treatment of dysentery
- Sugar-apple is high in energy, an excellent source of vitamin C and manganese, a good source of thiamine and vitamin B6, and provides vitamin B2, B3 B5, B9, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium in fair quantities
- Note: USe only after consulting the specialist
- The ripe fruits are edible
- The sweetish fruit varies considerably in quality; some are eaten raw but most often they are used in preserves, drinks, ice cream, puddings etc