Saffron Crocus, Kesar, Zaafraan - 5 Bulbs - buy 1 get 1 free
Saffron is a spice derived from the flower of Crocus sativus, commonly known as the "saffron crocus". Saffron crocus grows to 20–30 cm and bears up to four flowers, each with three vivid crimson stigmata, which are the distal end of a carpel.
Common name: Crocus sativus
Color: Lilac purple
Bloom time: September to October
Height: 0.25 to 0.50 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
When you plant your saffron crocus bulbs, place them in the ground at about 3 to 5 inches deep and at least 6 inches apart. About 50 to 60 saffron flowers will produce about 1 tablespoon of saffron spice, so keep this in mind when figuring how many to plant.
Sunlight: Full Sun to Partial Shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Temprature: 32 degree F
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Dig holes and plant the crocuses 3-4" deep and 2-3" apart.
- The bulbs are small and rounded, with slight pointed tops - plant with the points facing upwards.
- If you can t tell which side should face up, plant the bulbs on their sides; root action will pull the bulbs into the right position.
Harvesting: Allow all foliage to grow through winter and nourish the plants for next year.
- After planting, water crocuses well, gently soaking the soil and settling it around the bulbs.
- Roots will form in the autumn.
- In warm areas some foliage may also develop in the fall.
- Buds and flowers are produced in the late summer and fall.
Brings attractive ornamental fall bloom to the landscape. Large sweeping drifts can be spectacular. Plants also may be grouped in beds, borders, rock gardens, herb gardens, in front of shrubs, along walks or in various other small areas around the home.
- Saffron is a plant.
- The dried stigmas (thread-like parts of the flower) are used to make saffron spice.
- The stigmas are also used to make medicine.
- Saffron is used for asthma, cough, whooping cough (pertussis), and to loosen phlegm (as an expectorant).
for medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor before use.
Want to write review ?Click here to Login
What garden lovers say ... ?
Beautiful flowering plant
You should provide more details to help us in growing these seed vareities.
Can this be grown in terrace.