55Buy 1+1 Free
(Inclusive of all taxes)
|Special Gift Today|
|Get 1 Plantfood FREE|
|* on all orders today|
|Get Surprise Garden Gift|
| * worth Rs 300 to 600 Free |
* on all orders above Rs 699
|Rs 350 PayTM Cashback|
| - 1st Txn: Random CB (Rs 20 - Rs 200) |
- 2nd Txn: PayTm Movie Voucher (Rs 150)
- Minimum Order Value : Rs 499
|All India Delivery|
|500,000 Happy Customers|
Description for Okra pusa sawni
Bhindi is grown for its long, pointed seed pods, which are used in gumbos and soups.
Okra is a tropical plant that is grown as an annual vegetable. The seed pods are especially useful for thickening stews because of their gummy mucilage.
Okra plants are extremely drought and heat resistant and okra is a popular vegetable in many countries with difficult growing conditions.
Planting and care
- You can start okra seeds indoors in peat pots under full light 3 to 4 weeks before the last spring frost date.
- Keep the seeds overnight in tepid water to help speed up germination.
- Okra plants are tall, so be sure to space out the rows 3 to 4 feet apart.
Caring for Okra pusa sawni
- Eliminate weeds when the plants are young, then mulch heavily to prevent more weeds from growing.
- Keep the plants well watered throughout the summer months; 1 inch of water per week is ideal, but use more if you are in a hot, arid region.
- After the first harvest, remove the lower leaves to help speed up production.
- Ladys Finger does not like to have its roots disturbed.
The first harvest will be ready about 2 months after planting. Harvest the okra when its about 2 to 3 inches long. Harvest tender pods every other day.
Typical uses of Okra pusa sawni
Special features: Okra is traditionally a southern U.S. plant that thrives in warm weather. It is easy to grow and use and looks great throughout the growing season due to its beautiful flowers. Okra is also rich in vitamin A and low in calories.
Culinary use: Okra is a plant that produces an edible pod that is eaten as a vegetable.
Ornamental use: NA
To maintain the best nutritional value of okra, it is suggested not to overcook it.
The pods are among the very low-calorie vegetables. They provide just 30 calories per 100 g besides containing no saturated fats or cholesterol.
They are rich sources of dietary fibre, minerals, and vitamins; often recommended by nutritionists in cholesterol controlling and weight reduction programs.
The pods contain healthy amounts of vitamin A, and flavonoid anti-oxidants such as beta carotenes, xanthin and lutein.
It is one of the green vegetables with highest levels of these anti-oxidants.
Research suggests that consumption of foods rich in vitamin-C helps the body develop immunity against infectious agents, reduce episodes of cold and cough and protect the body from harmful free radicals.
Note: Use only after consulting the specialist.
- The veggies are rich in the B-complex group of vitamins like niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin and pantothenic acid. The pods also contain good amounts of vitamin K. Vitamin K is a co-factor for blood clotting enzymes and is required for strengthening of bones.
- The pods are an also good source of many important minerals such as iron, calcium, manganese and magnesium.
You may browse related categories
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments