Pennisetum rueppeli - Plant
Winter hardy to USDA Zones 9-10 where it is easily grown as a perennial in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils in full sun to part shade.
Common name: Fountain Grass, mission grass
Bloom time: July to October
Height: 3.00 to 5.00 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
They are usually shipped in the spring as bare roots when plants are fully dormant, well before they have leafed out. Theyâ€™ll look like a bundle of sticks on arrival. Note, they are not deadâ€”simply dormant.If you are buying container-grown plants (vs. bare-root plants), plant them by May or early June for best results.
Sunlight: full sun to part shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Temprature: 30 Â°C
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Plants love waterâ€”but donâ€™t drown them.
- That is, they donâ€™t like to sit in water, and theyâ€™ll die if the soil is too wet in winter.
- The ideal soil is rich and loose, with good drainage.
- One of the worst mistakes you can make is to not provide adequate drainage.
- Use mulch.
Specimen, group or mass. Attractive foliage and flower spikes of this ornamental grass provide excellent texture, color and contrast to borders, foundations and open areas.
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
No serious insect or disease problems.