With this purchase you will get:
Description for Salvia Splendens Red
It is a good nectar plant for hummingbirds, butterflies, and bees, and birds eat the seeds of some species.
Some varieties, such as culinary sage, are edible to humans as well.
Each species may have slightly different requirements, but basic good care will go a long way to keeping your salvia healthy and beautiful.
Bi colors are also available, with red, rose or salmon colored flowers with white tips.
Planting and care
Plant in average or enriched soil and fertilize as needed.
Over a long season, flowers will drop, leaving a ragged spike. When this happens, cut the plant back. New growth emerges refreshed.
Snails and slugs find salvia to be a delicious treat, especially in moist conditions and when the plants are mulched.
In areas with very hot summers, partial shade, especially in the afternoon, reduces stress.
Caring for Salvia Splendens Red
- Most salvia like lots of sun, although a few species tolerate very light shade.
- If your garden does not have adequate drainage, mix stones, gravel or lava rock into the bottom of the hole when you plant your salvia.
- Using a trowel, dig a hole as deep and twice as wide as the pot the salvia transplant is in.
- Loosen the roots of the salvia, spread them out in the hole, and backfill with soil mixed with compost.
- Be sure to water the young plants regularly until they are fully grown so that they don t dry out.
- Prune the heavier, woody stems every spring.
Typical uses of Salvia Splendens Red
Special features: Salvias are prolific and durable bloomers.
They are not bothered by pests.
Ornamental use: There are many fine ornamental perennials in this genus and several bedding plants used as annuals.
Medicinal use: Sage is an excellent natural disinfectant and deodorizer, drying perspiration and helping to eliminate body odor.
Extracts of sage are used in personal skin care for its capacity to heal the skin as well.
Sage is a well regarded herb for women and can be especially helpful for relieving the hot flashes of menopause, and slowing heavy menstrual bleeding.
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments
Good for the price paid
Buy this just 2 weeks ago .and its growing very nice
Can be kept in semi shade areas
Pot seems to be really small. DO I have to shift the plan to the bigger pot as it starts growing in a few months?
Great plant..looked nice n fresh wen i received ..Highly recommend it!
Any query about salvia splendens red - plant