Parsley Forest Green - Seeds - buy 1 get 1 free
Description for Parsley Forest Green
Parsley is a mild-flavoured herb, and parsley leaves are often used to create attractive garnishes for a variety of dishes. Rich in vitamins and minerals, the ruffled green herb is a flavourful addition to soups and other culinary delights. Although good old curly parsley is the most familiar, you might be surprised that there are many different kinds of parsley.
Parsley is not just a dark green garnish. The leaves are high in vitamins and minerals. I use parsley in soups, salads, and to make a scrumptious green shake of parsley, bananas, maple syrup and water. Parsley is also a good edible landscape plant. This low growing herb makes a good dark green edging for annual annual and perennial flower gardens.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Parsley, Petroselinum crispum(botanical name)||-||-||Plant Height : 12.0-18.0, Width :6.0-8.0"||Moderate|
Planting and care
|Full sun or partial shade.||Parsley prefers loose, Loamy, moderately fertile soil with plenty of added organic matter.||Parsley likes moist soil. If you think the plants might need water they probably do.||45Â°F - 75Â°F||Parsley prefers a fertile soil with lots of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium.|
Caring for Parsley Forest Green
- Parsley likes a rich soil so add a small handful of an organic fertilizer, such as 5-5-5, monthly around each plant.
- Keep plants well watered and mulch after weeding with straw or untreated grass clippings to help keep the soil cool and moist and to keep soil out of the crevices of curly parsleyâ€™s leaves.
- Control for aphids with sprays in insecticidal soap. Swallowtail butterfly larvae love to feed on parsley.
- Itâ€™s actually a great plant to grow in a butterfly garden for that reason. Unless there are many caterpillars on your plant, donâ€™t worry about controlling them. A few wonâ€™t cause too much damage.
- Hand-pick and move those that are devouring a plant.
Typical uses of Parsley Forest Green
Culinary use: Used as a garnish or directly in dishes, parsley is a delicate herb with a strong peppery taste, making it a favourite for many chefs.
As a biennial, edible white flowers emerge in an umbel during the plantâ€™s second growing season.
Flat leaf parsley tends to be favoured for its culinary uses while curly is more often used as decoration. However, flavour varies greatly by variety, so donâ€™t rule out any types without checking their full credentials first.
Medicinal use: Parsley has been used as a source of certain vitamins and minerals. Parsley seed was used traditionally as a carminative to decrease flatulence and colic pain. The root was used as a diuretic and the juice to treat kidney ailments.