Indian Elm is a large deciduous tree, gowing up to 18 m tall. It has grey bark, covered with blisters, peeling in corky scales on old trees. Alternately arranged leaves are elliptic-ovate, 8-13 cm long and 3.2-6.3 cm wide, smooth, with entire margins, and a pointed tip. Leaf base is rounded or heart-shaped. Stipules are lance-shaped
Common name: Indian Elm, entire-leaved elm tree, jungle cork tree, south Indian elm tree
Color: greenish-yellow to brownish,
Bloom time: Feb- March
Height: 18.00 m
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
plant have long tap roots which need to stretch out so the plants prefer well-dug, loose, well-draining soil; in preparing a bed, dig down 2 feet in depth and about 3 feet across to ensure the soil isn’t too compact.
Sunlight: Full Sun
Soil: well-drained soil
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- While the plant is small, water around the root zone, about 3 to 4 in.
- from the plant.
- To protect the plant, it may help to put snail or slug bait around the ste
Flowers are small, greenish-yellow to brownish, pubescent, borne in short racemes or fascicles at the scars of fallen leaves. Sepals are velvety, often 4. Fruit is an a circular samara, 2.5 cm in diameter, with membranous, net-veined wings, and flat seed.
- Unverified information The bark of Indian Elm is used in rheumatism.
- Seed and paste of stem bark is used in treating ringworm.
- Bark and leaves are used for treating oedema, diabetes, leprosy and other skin diseases, intestinal disorders, piles and sprue.
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
for medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor before use.
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments
Got in good condition, found no problem, happy :)
Rare new variety?
Worth Money. Good Product
I can see the love and care that goes into shipping my plants, thanks nurserylive.
Wow nice plants and delivered in great condition..