Growing pennyroyal in the herb or perennial garden will add color with its reddish purple to lilac blooms.
With this purchase you will get:
Description for American pennyroyal
This wildflower is a summer annual about 4-12 inch tall that is branched or unbranched. The stems are light green, terete, and pubescent. The opposite leaves are elliptic, oblong-lanceolate, or oblong-oblanceolate in shape. The margins of the leaves are smooth or they have a few blunt teeth toward their tips.
Planting and care
Pennyroyal plant is a perennial herb that was once widely used but is not as common today. It has applications as an herbal remedy, culinary uses and as a decorative touch. Growing pennyroyal in the herb or perennial garden will add color with its reddish purple to lilac blooms. There are two plants called pennyroyal.
Caring for American pennyroyal
- Sow the seeds in a cold frame and prick out the seedlings into individual pots when they are large enough to handle and plant them out in the summer.
- It is best to propagate them by division.
- Division can be easily carried out at almost any time of the year, though it is probably best done in the spring or autumn to allow the plant to establish more quickly.
- Virtually any part of the root is capable of growing into a new plant.
- For drying, the plant should be harvested as it comes into flower.
Typical uses of American pennyroyal
Special features: Crushed pennyroyal stems stuck in your hat and pockets really will repel gnats and mosquitoes.
Ornamental use: Flowers are used for ornamental purposes.
Medicinal use: Pennyroyal has been to relieve pain, gastrointestinal discomfort, soothe colds and to aid in menstruation problems.
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments
Any query about american pennyroyal - plant