Description for Tall Fescue ( 1 Kg )
Festuca arundinacea is a species of grass commonly known as tall fescue. It is a cool-season perennial species of bunchgrass native to Europe.
Established tall fescue lawns are low maintenance and need infrequent mowing and watering, except in very hot summers. Keep the lawn at 2 inches tall and allow the plants to dry out in between deep watering.
Planting and care
Tall fescue establishes best on soil with good drainage and high fertility where pH is 5.5 to 6.5. Work the area well and add in a starter fertilizer to the top few inches of soil.
The rate of sowing is 6 to 8 pounds per 1,000 square feet. Cover the area with a fine layer of sand or soil. Seed needs to be pressed into soil.
Keep evenly moist for 14 to 21 days, at which point you should see your first seedlings.
The plants can now get used to less frequent watering. Mow the grass when it is 3 inches high. Turf grass that is kept less than 3 inches is thicker and more attractive.
Caring for Tall Fescue
- Tall fescue grass is one such sod grass and it also has low mowing and fertilization needs.
- It does, however, need frequent deep watering in summer.
- It works as a lawn in either sunny or partially shady areas.
- Tall fescue in lawns stays green in winter unlike the warm season turf varieties.
- The plant is available in numerous cultivars, many of which resemble fine fescue but have wider leaf blades.
- Tall fescue maintenance is a dream for the lazy gardener because it needs infrequent mowing and has low nutrient needs.
- Tall fescue is a turf grass with remarkable drought and heat stress tolerance.
- It is a coarse textured, dark green grass with rolled leaves.
- It spreads by seed primarily and does most of its growth in spring and fall.
- The grass has deep widely set roots.In spring the plant produces a short panicle 3 to 4 inches long with lance-like spikelets.
- Tall fescue grass is a bunch grass and established lawns may eventually have die out in some areas, requiring spring reseeding.
Typical uses of Tall Fescue
Special features: Dwarf fescue is used primarily as a residential lawn.
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments
Very nice packaging, with labelling of all the seeds. Variety of seeds available and its a great value for money.
Any query about tall fescue ( 1 kg ) - seeds