Onion White Globe - Seeds ( buy1get1free )
Description for Onion White Globe
Onions are a wonderful staple crop in our household, and we like to store some of our onion bulbs for 6-8 months over the winter. We eat a lot of them, and we usually plant over 200 onions each year. If you follow a few simple steps, you can harvest a large amount of high-quality onions from a small garden.
Onions are such a versatile vegetable â€“ they feature in so many recipes, so growing your own onions means youâ€™ll always have them to hand. They are easy to grow from baby onions called sets. Although seed is available, sets are the easiest and quickest way to grow onions. Sets are also are better in colder regions, and are less likely to be attacked by some pests and diseases.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|bulb onion or common onion,Allium cepa (Botanical Name)||White||Year round||15-18 cm||Easy|
Planting and care
|Select a location with full sun where your onions wont be shaded by other plants.||Soil needs to be well-drained, loose, and rich in nitrogen; compact soil affects bulb development.||Generally, onions do not need consistent watering if mulch is used. About one inch of water per week (including rain water) is sufficient. If you want sweeter onions, water more.||20 degrees F||Give an occasional feed with a general liquid fertiliser. A light feed of sulphate of potash in June will help ripen the bulbs ready for storage.|
Caring for Onion White Globe
- Fertilize every few weeks with nitrogen to get big bulbs. Cease fertilizing when the onions push the soil away and the bulbing process has started.
- Do not put the soil back around the onions; the bulb needs to emerge above the soil.
- Generally, onions do not need consistent watering if mulch is used. About one inch of water per week (including rain water) is sufficient. If you want sweeter onions, water more.
- Onions will look healthy even if they are bone dry, be sure to water during drought conditions.
- Make sure soil is well-drained. Mulch will help retain moisture and stifle weeds.
- Cut or pull any onions that send up flower stalks; this means that the onions have â€œboltedâ€ and are done.
Typical uses of Onion White Globe
Special features: Onions are a cold-season crop, easy to grow because of their hardiness.
Culinary use: In foods, onion is used in many recipes.
You may browse related categories
Want to write review ?Click here to Login
What garden lovers say ... ?
I want this plant.
Super vegetable Seeds .
Nicely packed. Have tried some of the seeds and they germinated quite well - would recommend to all