Ixora Long, Singapuri Ixora (Pink) - Plant
Description for Ixora Long, Singapuri Ixora (Pink)
Ixora is a genus of flowering plants in the Rubiaceae family. It consists of tropical evergreen trees and shrubs and holds around 500 species.
Though native to the tropical and subtropical areas throughout the world, its center of diversity is in Tropical Asia.
It is commonly known as West Indian Jasmine.
The plants possess leathery leaves, ranging from 3 to 6 inches in length, and produce large clusters of tiny flowers in the summer. Members of Ixora prefer acidic soil, and are suitable choices for bonsai.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Jungle Geranium, Flame of the Woods, Jungle Flame, West Indian jasmine. rangan, kheme, ponna, chann tanea, techi, pan, santan, jarum-jarum.||Ixora comes in various colours like Red,orange, yellow, pink, white||summer season||Spread at least 3 to 4 inches||Easy|
Planting and care
Ixora is a tropical to semi-tropical evergreen shrub. The plant is often grown as an annual in temperate and cooler climates. Ixora shrubs are known for their large corymbs of bright florets. The large flower clusters come in red, orange, yellow and pink, and its also known as jungle flame and flame of the woods. Minimal maintenance is needed when growing an Ixora bush.
The best floral displays are produced by Ixora grown in full sun situations. Well-drained soil and moderate to slightly acidic pH are crucial to growing an Ixora bush. The plant develops chlorosis when installed in alkaline soils.
Keep the soil evenly moist and prune the plant when it gets unruly. Ixora responds well to shearing and makes an excellent low hedge with its 4 to 6 foot height. Propagation of the shrub is through stem cuttings which can be rooted with the help of a rooting hormone.
Ixora plant care is negligible, which makes it useful as part of the low maintenance landscape. Annual spring pruning and fertilizing will enhance the plants health. Some diseases that are common are fungal but can be minimized by suspending overhead watering. Water only the root zone to prevent the foliage from getting wet. Spider mites and aphids are common but are more of a nuisance than a serious threat.
Use an insecticidal oil spray to combat these pests. Use a 2- to 3-inch layer of mulch around the root zone to prevent competitive weeds, enhance water retention and add organic nutrients to the soil.
Care of Ixora plants in containers requires re-potting every two to three years. Bring the shrubs indoors if any frost is predicted. The plants are extremely tender and will succumb to freezing temperatures.
|Bright light, but avoid direct sunlight in summer.||The most important thing to remember when planting Ixora is that it must be planted in acidic soil because alkaline soil can result in yellow foliage. These acid-loving plants thrive in rich, moist, peat-based soil.||Ixora likes to be watered, but you shouldnt do it excessively. Keep soil continuously moist, but reduce watering in the winter. Very high humidity is preferred.||Above 60F is preferred even in winter. Avoid cold drafts if temperature drops lower||Feed in spring with slow-release pellets or weekly during growing season with liquid fertilizer.|
Caring for Ixora Long
- Water Ixora as needed to keep the soil evenly moist, but not muddy.
- Although the plant prefers moist soil, it may rot in excessively soggy soil.
- Water the shrub sparingly during the winter months.
- Feed Ixora in early spring, using an acidic fertilizer formulated for Ixora, azalea and gardenias, which has a ratio such as 4-8-8, along with minor elements that are beneficial.
- Repeat in midsummer and autumn.
- Acidic fertilizer is especially important if the foliage takes on a yellowish cast, indicating a magnesium deficiency caused by improper soil pH.
- Apply the fertilizer according to label specifications, then water deeply.
- In spring, remove the mulch along with the top crust of soil.
- Replace the removed mulch and soil with fresh mulch.
- Prune Ixora after blooming slows in late autumn or anytime the shrub looks untidy.
- Prune each shoot down to just one bud or prune the shrub as needed to create the size and shape desired.
- Protect Ixora from aphids and scales.
- Aphids are tiny, green insects that congregate at joints of the leaves and stems or the undersides of the leaves.
- Scales are hard-shelled insects that give the foliage a waxy appearance.
- Regular application of an insecticidal soap spray or neem oil usually helps to control both pests.
Typical uses of Ixora Long
Special features: ixora flowers are commonly used in Hindu worship, as well as in ayurveda and Indian folk medicine.
Culinary use: NA
Ornamental use: This is Indoor plant
Medicinal use: In the above mentioned chemical composition of santan, it has been identified that the plant contains important phytochemicals that are known to have antioxidative, antibacterial, gastroprotective, hepatoprotective, antidiarrhoeal, antinociceptive, antimutagenic, antineoplastic and chemopreventive effects. This analysis suggests the validity of the plantâ€™s folkloric and erthnomedicinal uses.
You may browse related categories
Want to write review ?Click here to Login
What garden lovers say ... ?
Plants are awesome.. the quality is just fantastic. .....I gifted it to my mom on her anniversary
Wow nice plants and delivered in great condition..
Some leaves are green and some leaves are greenish yellow but anyway it looks great!