Minimum quantity to order : 5 pieces
Description for Iris Xiphium, Dutch Iris (Mix Color)
The hardy flowers are not difficult to grow and do well in a wide range of climates, being relatively drought-tolerant and low maintenance. When it blooms, the Iris's flowers are gorgeous, ranging in hue from the common purple shade to patterned white and yellow.
Narrow leaves and erect stems bearing flowers with 3 large spreading or pendent fall petals, alternating with 3 erect, often smaller, standard petals, in late winter, spring or early summer.
Planting and care
For best results, plant iris rhizomes in July, August or September. This is also the best time (plants are normally dormant during the heat of July and August) to divide and replant iris that have become overcrowded, usually after three to five years. It is important that the roots of newly planted irises be well established before the end of the growing season. Plant your iris at least four to six weeks before your first hard freeze or killing frost.
Caring for Iris Xiphium
- Avoid applying high-nitrogen fertilizers to the surface or carelessly mulching with organic matter, which may encourage rhizome rot.
- Keep rhizomes exposed. Unlike bulbs, which thrive deep underground, iris rhizomes need a bit of sun and air to dry them out.
- If they recovered with soil or crowded by other plants, they will rot. Irises may benefit from shallow mulching in the spring.
- Do not trim iris leaves. Leaves carry on photosynthesis for next year s growth.
- Cut off brown tips and cut the flowering stalk down to the rhizome to discourage rot.
- If iris foliage is hit with heavy frost, remove and destroy it to eliminate borer eggs.
- After 2 to 5 years, when clumps become congested or lose vitality, divide and replant sound rhizomes in fresh soil.
Typical uses of Iris Xiphium
Special features: Dutch iris are popular with florists and home gardeners because they are dependably pretty and easy to use.
Culinary use: NA
Ornamental use: The plant is used for an ornamental purpose.
Medicinal use: NA
You may browse related categories
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments
Which season i grow the plant
Shall we use it in hanging pots ?
I have this plant in my house, it really look nice.
Beautiful flowering plant
Can this plant be grown through seeds