Description for Cleome
Although cleome is an annual, it often reseeds itself, making it grow year after year in the same location.
Cleome or spider flower is often overlooked as a seedling in garden centers because of its nondescript, almost weedy, appearance. However, once established in the flower garden, cleome puts on a dazzling summer flower show until frost. Its a tall, thorny-stalked annual with spider-like flower heads.
When planted in groups it gives the impression of a flowering shrub.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Spider Flower, Rocky Mountain Beeplant, Stinking Clover||Pink, purple, white, lavender.||Early summer until first frost.||3 to 6 feet.||Easy.|
Planting and care
Plant in full sun, thinning or spacing individual plants to 1 foot apart. Plant where you wont have to brush against the stems often since many varieties have thorns.
|Full sun,part sun.||Cleome flowers thrive in average garden soil.||You will only need to water cleome if you are undergoing a drought.||Warm and the night time temperature is well above freezing before moving outside.||Spider flowers are light feeders, and giving them too much nitrogen results in leggy plants. Cleome dont usually require extra feeding so if you have fertile soil, no additional fertilizing will be needed.|
Caring for Cleome
- Plants not thinned properly and grown too close together will be shorter with smaller flowers and may be yellow due to lack of nitrogen from the competition.
- Keep seedlings well watered.
- Once established cleome is drought tolerant.
- Cleome have a strong propensity to self-sow.
- Its not unusual to see hundreds of baby cleome growing in your garden the following spring.
- If you want to limit the amount of seed being sown, deadhead spent flowers before the seed-pods brown and mature.
Typical uses of Cleome
Ornamental use: Cleome flowers are excellent candidates for the back of the flower border, where their lanky stems can hide behind other plants, but their festive flower clusters can sway in the breeze above other flowering annuals.Cleomes are also a good choice for growing in containers. choose a large container.