Nutmeg, Jaifal, Jaiphal - Plant
Description for Nutmeg, Jaifal, Jaiphal
Wild Nutmeg is a tree up to 20 m tall. Bark is brownish, usually smooth, irregulary flaky; blaze reddish. Branches are arranged in whorls, horizontal. Young branchlets are round, rusty tomentose. Red sap oozed from cut end of bark
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|-||Purple||May-July.||30 to 60 feet||Easy to grow|
Planting and care
Nutmeg trees should be planted in rich, organic soil with a medium texture and low salinity. The pH level should be 6-7, although they will tolerate ranges from 5.5-7.5. A soil test will aid in determining if the site is appropriate or if you need to amend it to correct a lack of nutrients.
|Part Shade for first 3 to 4 years||Well-drained soil||Medium||40 degrees C and above||Apply any organic fertilizer|
Caring for Nutmeg
- Nutmeg trees should be planted in rich, organic soil with a medium texture and low salinity.
- The pH level should be 6-7, although they will tolerate ranges from 5.5-7.5.
- A soil test will aid in determining if the site is appropriate or if you need to amend it to correct a lack of nutrients.
- Mix in organic matter like bark chips, rotted manure or leaves to buck up the nutrition level and aid in aeration and water retention.
- Be sure to dig your hole at least four feet deep, as nutmegs do not like shallow roots.
- Nutmegs need well-draining soil, but they also like it humid and damp, so keep the tree moist.
- Drying out will stress the nutmeg.
- Mulching around the tree can aid in water retention, but donâ€™t pack it against the trunk or you may be inviting unwanted insects and opening the tree to diseases
Typical uses of Nutmeg
Special features: Female flowers are larger, borne in racemes in leaf axils. Capsules are spherical, up to 3.2 cm across, hairless, with one spherical seed, pale brown with laciniate aril. Kanara Nutmeg is endemic to the Western Ghats.
Culinary use: Leaves
Ornamental use: The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
Want to write review ?Click here to Login
What garden lovers say ... ?
"I can t wait to bulk purchase again.
Excellent service and good product. Well packed and well delivered. Though few leaves were fallen but plant was almost ok.
Beautiful plant, arrived in very good condition. Impressive packing. Looking forward to buy one more