Pitcher plant, Nepenthes alata (hanging basket)- Plant
With this purchase you will get:
Description for Pitcher plant, Nepenthes alata (hanging basket)
Insects (all types) are attracted to this because of nectar secretions and coloration. A pitcher is in actual a leaf modification. The insects fall into the digestive fluid at the bottom of the trap and nutrients are absorbed.
The plants primarily gain nitrogen and phosphorus from the prey. Male and female flowers occur on separate plants. These plants are well suited for the elevated container such as a hanging basket.
Planting and care
The vast majority of Nepenthes adapt very well to the lower humidity of most homes. It will grow happily on the window side. If night temperatures are too warm, they may produce smaller leaves and grow much slower.
It should get four or more hours of direct sunlight and very bright filtered sun during the rest of day. Nepenthes adapts well to a wide range of soil mixes. A popular mix is 1 part dried sphagnum moss and 1 part perlite (or pumice).
You can also use 1 part peat moss, 1 part perlite and 1 part silica sand. Re-pot it every couple years. Change the soil, and if necessary, use a larger pot. Plants can be propagated by seed, cuttings, and tissue culture.
Caring for Pitcher plant
- If their leaves burn or turn yellow, decrease the light intensity.
- If a sunny window is not possible, use a couple of fluorescent lights.
- Avoid keeping it in standing water, which may cause root rot.
- Try to water the plants in the morning around 8-10am.
- You should remove dead, infected or damaged plant parts and throw in the garbage collector.
- You should prune and fertilize a plant mostly in the spring season.
- Apply the fertilizer once in 2 weeks during spring and summer, and only once a month or not at all during the winter when growth naturally slows down.
Typical uses of Pitcher plant
Special features: It attracts small insects including flies, mosquitoes etc. and keep your area clean or hygienic.
Culinary use: NA
Ornamental use: It is used to decorate indoor as well as outdoor area. Its pitcher looks interesting to the insects as well as human beings.
Medicinal use: NA
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments
Excellent proctus collection
Love how cute the plant is..
Very nice plant but price is ok
Very nice plants...looking so beautiful..thanku nurserylive?
?How many years will it live?
Any query about pitcher plant, nepenthes alata (hanging basket)- plant