Winter hardy to USDA Zones 9-11 where it is best grown in deep, fertile, moist, well-drained soils in full sun. Propagate by seed, cuttings or air layers.
Common name: Tabebuia rosea
Color: Purplish-pink to white with yellow throat
Bloom time: Seasonal bloomer
Height: 60.00 to 90.00 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
As members of the trumpet creeper family Bignoniaceae, the 150 species within the tabebuia genus are most commonly known as trumpet trees. Native to South America and Mexico, these deciduous and semi-deciduous tropical trees grow in U.S. Department of Agriculture cold hardiness zones 9 through 11, with individual species varying in preference.
Tolerant of many different soil types as long as they are well drained, the trees are drought-tolerant and resistant to most pests and diseases. Colorful tabebuia trees often provide shade cover beside decks and patios or are pruned into covering canopy shapes beside streets and sidewalks.
Sunlight: Full Sun to Partial Shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Collect seed pods from mature trees once the pods turn brown and begin to crack open.
- Remove the seeds from cracked pods only.
- Plant tabebuia seeds in peat pots filled with potting soil, at a depth of 1/2-inch.
- Place the pots in a sunny indoor location and keep the soil moist by spritzing it with a spray bottle.
- Water seedlings deeply twice each week for the first two months of growing, and then cut back to once each week.
- After a year, water the young trees only once every two weeks.
- After trees become established, they will only need watering during dry spells.
Where winter hardy, this flowering tree is commonly planted as a lawn specimen. Also useful as a shade tree of street tree.
- A decoction of the flowers, leaves and roots has been used to reduce fevers and pain, cause sweating, to treat tonsil inflammation and various other disorders.
- Among the various active phytochemicals in the tree is lapachol, a natural organic compound isolated from various other Tabebuia species.
for medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor before use.
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments