|Special Gift Today|
|Get 1 Plantfood FREE|
|* on all orders today|
|Get Surprise Garden Gift|
| * worth Rs 300 to 600 Free |
* on all orders above Rs 699
|Rs 300 PayTM Cashback|
| - 1st Txn: Random CB (Rs 30 - Rs 150) |
- 2nd Txn: PayTm Movie Voucher (Rs 150)
- Minimum Order Value : Rs 300
|All India Delivery|
|500,000 Happy Customers|
Acacia Nilotica, also known as Acacia Arabica, gum arabic tree, Babul can be found in tropical and subtropical Africa and Asia. Acacia Nilotica is a tree of 5–20 m high. Babul tree is a drought tolerant tree but will tolerate only light frost. The crown is low and can be flattened or a rounded umbrella-shape. It is also know for its medicinal uses.
Common name: acacia, Egyptian mimosa, Egyptian thorn, red thorn. Babool, babul
Color: white to pale yellow, bright golden yellow color
Height: Upto 15 metre
Difficulty level: Easy
Planting & Care
Acacia catechu leaves are shed around February and new leaves appear near the end of April or May. The flowers appear when the new leaves appear and flowering continues until July or August. Pods rapidly develop and are full-size by September or October. They ripen from November to early January.
Sunlight: Full. Seedlings are shade intolerant.
Soil: Tolerates a wide range of soil types, thriving in alluvial and heavy clay soils with pH 5.0–9.0. When used in land reclamation, A. nilotica can be planted onto degraded saline/alkaline soils with a soluble salt content below 3%.
Water: Adapted to annual rainfall of 300–2,200 mm. Vigorous in seasonally flooded environments.
Temprature: Grows from 0–1,340 m altitude, with an annual mean temperature of 18–28°C. Tolerates extremes of temperature (-1–50°C) when established, but is frost sensitive as a seedling.
- Flowers prolifically over an extended period, but only a very small proportion (0.
- 1%) may form pods.
- Seed production varies with provenance, but mature trees can produce up to 2–4 kg seed in a good fruiting season.
- Seed viability declines rapidly and 95% of seed may be dead after 2 years.
- However, a small percentage of seed will remain viable for up to 15 years.
- Babul grows as a perennial and is a flowering legume.
- Being a perennial plant, it tends to grow best over several years (approx 3 years and greater).
Can be established readily from seed.
Extremely drought tolerant.
Leaves and pods have high CP content.
- Acacia arabica is reported to possess many beneficial properties.
- It is reported for In vitro antibacterial activity, antimicrobial and immuno modulatory activities.
- Flavonoids, triterpenoids, alkaloids and phenolics are known to be bioactive anti diabetic principles present in Acacia arabica.
Acacia Arabica is used in traditional Indian medicine to treat diabetes mellitus.
- The hypoglycemic effect of aqueous extract and hydroalcoholic extract of Acacia arabica was investigated and proved scientifically.
Oral administration of aqueous extract of Acacia arabica bark to diabetic and normal rats resulted in significant reduction of blood glucose, cholesterol and triglycerides.
- The aqueous extract of Acacia arabica was found to reduce blood glucose level to its normal level with in seven days.
Histological studies of the β-cells show its action on pancreas.
Phenolics present in Acacia arabica are found to be effective as anti hyperglycemic agents.
The gum of Acacia arabica is described in the British pharmacopoeia as a source of useful medicaments.
- Acacia arabica is a good antibacterial agent.
In a clinical trial report implies the presence of substances in Acacia gum which, compared with ordinary gum, primarily inhibit the early deposition of plaque.
http://www.tropicalforages.info/key/Forages/Media/Html/Acacia_nilotica.htm http://www.lustroushenna.com/lustrous_henna/2012/09/natural-hair-care-from-a-beneficial-ancient-tree.html http://www.rarexoticseeds.com/en/acacia-nilotica-seeds-acacia-arabica-gum-arabica-tree.html
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments
Good number of plants and currently flowering so waiting for the cherry tomatos!!