Vinca (Red) - Plant
Vincas are the indestructible beauties of the garden. While resembling impatiens to a remarkable degree, both in their flowers and coverage, they thrive in full sun and intense heat.
Hardy, large, bushy plants provide a dense layer of sparkling color and evergreen foliage to beds, borders and containers. This saturated red shade mixes melodiously with other shades in the Merry Go Round lineup. Require almost no care.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Madagascar periwinkle,Myrtle,Sadafuli||Red||Annual||Plants grow 1-2 feet tall.||It s easy to grow|
Planting and care
Vinca is commonly used for borders, edging, and ground cover or bedding plants.
|Full sun is best, although some afternoon shade is fine||Plant vinca in a sunny location with well-drained soil. If you are growing annual vinca in containers use a proper potting mix.||Keep soil moist throughout the growing season.||26 to 30 degree C||Use any organic fertilizer|
- Vinca or Periwinkle will grow in range of light conditions, from full sun to shade.
- They will do well in average soils. They are both heat and drought tolerant.
- This makes Vinca ideal in hot, dry parts of the country where other flowers will wither and wilt.
- Space Vinca plants 12-15 inches apart. Water well, when planting. Once plants are established, water only during extended droughts.
- Add a general purpose fertilizer once or twice a season.
- Mulch around plants in dry areas to help retain soil moisture.
Special features: The low care nature of vinca plants helps them succeed in window boxes and other garden containers.
Medicinal use: Over the years, Vinca has been used for medicinal purposes. Applications included: