Potted in 5 inch black polybag
Description for Nymphaea Caerulea, Hybrid Lotus (Blue)
It is one of the most majestic plants to have in a water garden. It is by far the most exotic of all pond plants. They are very easy to grow once you understand the basic care of them.Nymphaea caerulea, commonly known as blue lotus or sacred blue lily of the Nile, is a tropical water lily that features day-blooming, star-shaped flowers (to 4-6 inch across), each with upright, pointed, light blue petals spread flat on the water surface. Each leaf is connected directly to the plant rhizomes by a long leaf stalk (petiole). Flowers typically bloom from July to the end of summer.
Best grown in moist, acidic, humusy soils in part shade to full shade. Plants may be grown from seed, but will not flower for 4-5 years. Quicker and better results are obtained from planting corms which are sold by many bulb suppliers and nurseries. In addition, offsets from mature plants may be harvested and planted
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Blue lotus, sacred blue lily,Nymphaea Caerulea, Hybrid Lotus (Blue),Blue lotus, sacred blue lily, Hybrid Lotus (Blue), blue Egyptian lotus,blue water lily (or blue Egyptian water lily,sacred narcotic lily of the Nile,||Blue.||April||0.75 to 1.00 feet.||Medium.|
Planting and care
This tropical water lily is best grown in still water in full sun to part shade. Plant rhizomes in spring, preferably in small containers. Plant each rhizome at a 45 degree angle with the bud end up and with the bud slightly above the soil surface. Set containers in 9-16â€ of water (after the water temperature has warmed to about 70 degrees F.) at the bottom of a water garden or tub garden or at the muddy bottom of a small pond.
|Full sun.||Rich clay soil mix.||They grow in water||70 degrees F.||These plants are heavy feeders and will not bloom without lots of fertilizer, so fertilize regularly.|
Caring for Nymphaea Caerulea
- The Lotus plant should be fertilized sparingly for the first year.
- Too much fertilizer may cause the Lotus foliage to burn.
- A Lotus plant that is established can be fed every 3 or 4 weeks during the growing season.
- Care must be taken when inserting fertilizer tabs, because the growing tip and new growth can be damaged.
- It is important to protect the Lotus roots from freezing.
- Lotus can winter over in the pond if the pond depth is below the freeze line for your area.
- In late fall, the yellowed foliage should be cut off and the plant lowered to the deepest part of the pond.
- Or you may lift the tubers after the plant has died back during the fall.
- If you lift the tubers, store them in a cool, frost-free location until late spring.
- To help prevent mildew and rotting, store them in living sphagnum moss.
Typical uses of Nymphaea Caerulea
Special features: Naturalize in moist soils in shaded areas of native plant gardens, shade gardens, woodland gardens or wild/naturalized areas. Also grows well in pond or stream banks or in shady areas of rock gardens.
Culinary use: blue lotus flowers are used to make various concoctions including blue lotus tea, wine and martinis. Recipes for such drinks involve steeping or soaking the petals, about 10â€“20 grams for up to three weeks. Blue lotus tea is prepared by boiling the entire flowers for 10â€“20 minutes.
Ornamental use: Water Plant, Rain Garden.
Medicinal use: The flower is used to brew lotus teas, which relieves cardiac complications and helps to stop bleeding.