Description for Lettuce Great Lakes
Lettuce greens are so easy to grow, so nutritious, and so delicious picked fresh from the garden, that everyone should grow them. Grow lettuce in the vegetable garden, tuck it into flowerbeds, or cultivate it in containers. With regular watering, shade from hot sun, and succession planting, you can enjoy home grown lettuce almost year-round in much of the country.
From baby leaf lettuce to big, crisp heads, lettuce is easy to grow in spring and fall, when the soil is cool. Leaf colour and texture vary with variety. All types of lettuce grow best when the soil is kept constantly moist, and outside temperatures range between 45 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit.
Planting and care
Caring for Lettuce Great Lakes
- You should be able to sow additional seeds every two weeks for a continuous harvest throughout the growing season.
- Fertilize 3 weeks after transplanting. Lettuce prefers soil that is high in humus, with plenty of compost and a steady supply of nitrogen to keep if growing fast. Use organic alfalfa meal or a slow-release fertilizer.
- To plant a fall crop, create cool soil in August by moistening the ground and covering it with a bale of straw. A week later, the soil under the bale will be about 10 degrees F (6 degrees C) cooler than the rest of the garden. Sow a three foot row of lettuce seeds every couple of weeks, just rotate the straw bale around the garden.
- Make sure soil remains moist but is well-drained.
- An organic mulch will help conserve moisture, suppress weeds, and keep soil temperatures cool throughout the warmer months.
- If the leaves are wilting, sprinkle them anytime even in the heat of the day to cool them off and slow down the transpiration rate.
- Weed by hand if necessary, but be careful of plant roots: They are shallow.
- Planning your garden so that lettuce will be in the shade of taller plants, such as tomatoes or sweet corn, in the heat of the summer, may reduce bolting.
Typical uses of Lettuce Great Lakes
Special features: Foliage
Ornamental use: The plant can be grown for its foliage.
Note: Please consult your health expert.
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments
Good Product, need to have more Seeds.....
Good germination, no waste any seed.
I m happy with this nice vegetable seeds product
The reason why I am reviewing this so lately is because I wanted some time to see it s germination and growth afterwards. Today the plant is in full bloom . It has almost grown up to 3 ft in height an
vegetable Seeds germinated within a week of sowing and excellent success rate.
Any query about 1+1 lettuce great lakes - seeds