With this purchase you will get:
Description for Leather Woodfern
This is a woodland fern which is most often found in shaded crevices of rocky ledges and bluffs. Features grayish-green, deeply cut, leathery fronds. Dryopteris marginalis has leathery leaves or fronds of deep blue-green. Prefers shade and moist soil containing large amounts of organic matter. Can take dry-ish shade.
Planting and care
Easily grown in average, medium, well-drained soil in part shade to full shade. Prefers moist, rich, humusy, acidic soils with protection from wind.
Caring for Leather Woodfern
- Gather the spores from the mature fronds.
- Remove the frond from the plant and place it in a paper bag with the spore side down.
- Dry the frond for up to two weeks in a warm, dry location.
- Sterilize a large salt shaker by rinsing it in a bleach solution of one part bleach to nine parts water. Allow drying completely.
- Remove the frond from the paper bag, tapping it lightly to shake off any remaining spores.
- Pour the spores, dust and dried bits of frond into the sterilized salt shaker.
Typical uses of Leather Woodfern
Special features: Grow in shady areas of the woodland, rock, native plant or wild garden. Mixes well with spring wildflowers, purple-leafed heucheras and hostas. Excellent as a specimen or in groups.
Culinary use: NA
Ornamental use: The plant is used for ornamental purposes. Evergreen fronds provide good interest to the winter landscape.
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments
Any query about leather woodfern - plant