With this purchase you will get:
Description for Chamaelirium luteum
Chamaelirium is a genus of flowering plants containing the single species Chamaelirium luteum, commonly known as blazing-star, devil s bit, false unicorn, fairy wand, and helonias. It is a perennial herb native to the eastern United States.
Planting and care
ivide fairy wand corms in the spring. Use short-handled pruning shears to reduce the foliage by half. Take care not to break the brittle, fleshy corms. Plant the corms 2 to 3 inches deep in fertile, moist but well-draining loam in a sunny location.
Loam is soil that contains equal portions of sand, silt and clay. If the loam has more heavy clay or light sand, mix in well-rotted organic matter. The plants need sun to bloom. Planted from division, fairy wands will yield flowers in one to two years.
Caring for Chamaelirium luteum
- Sow seeds in well-draining potting mix in the early spring in a sunny location.
- Cover lightly with the potting mix and keep moist.
- Most fairy wand species need to be planted in the sun to bloom.
- They take three to five years to bloom when planted from seeds.
- Water well during dry periods in summer and apply a general purpose fertilizer in the spring.
- A general purpose fertilizer has equal amounts by weight of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium.
Typical uses of Chamaelirium luteum
Special features: Group or mass in woodland and/or wildflower gardens. Also appropriate for native plant gardens, cottage gardens or borders. Will naturalize in optimum growing conditions.
Ornamental use: The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
Medicinal use: Western herbal medicine, it has been used to treat pregnancy.
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments
Any query about chamaelirium luteum - plant