Aralia nudicaulis - Plant
Description for Aralia nudicaulis
A single leaf stalk grows 18-24, dividing into three parts each with five oval leaflets. A separate stalk, shorter than the leaf stalk, bears ball-shaped clusters of tiny, greenish-white flowers followed in fall by dark purple berries.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|wild sarsaparilla, false sarsaparilla, shot bush, small spikenard, wild liquorice, and rabbit root||White , Green , Brown||May to July||Height: 25.00 to 50.00 feet Spread: 10.00 to 15.00 feet||Easy|
Planting and care
Water Use: Medium
Light Requirement: Sun , Shade
Soil Moisture: Moist
CaCO3 Tolerance: Medium
Soil Description: Poorer, relatively dry, soils.
|Sun , Shade||Poorer, relatively dry, soils.||Medium||The plant is comfortable at ordinary room temperatures of between 65 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit (18-29 C.).||Fertilize every two weeks with liquid house plant fertilizer in spring and summer and monthly in fall and winter.|
Caring for Aralia nudicaulis
- Though they will survive under low light as they long as they have moist soil, they do best in medium or full sun when grown indoors, but should be planted in shady areas if placed outside.
- The thin, fine roots of aralias are subject to rot, so allow the upper half of the soil to thoroughly dry out between waterings.
- Use a light, peat-based potting soil and place the plant in a small pot as a precaution against overwatering.
- This type of soil allows for proper aeration and drainage, preventing the plant's roots from becoming waterlogged.
- Feed aralias with a granular, controlled-release fertilizer with a high nitrogen content every other month.
- Prune the tips of aralia plants to promote the growth of new leaves and to help maintain its full, lush appearance.
Typical uses of Aralia nudicaulis
Special features: Can become aggressive. Rootstock is used as a substitute for official sarsaparilla flavoring.
Culinary use: The root was used to make root beer and can be made into a tea.
Want to write review ?Click here to Login
What garden lovers say ... ?
There are yet no reviews for this product.