Angelica archangelica - Plant
Description for Angelica archangelica
Angelica archangelica, commonly known as garden angelica, wild celery, and Norwegian angelica, is a biennial plant from the Apiaceae family, a subspecies of which is cultivated for its sweetly scented edible stems and roots.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|garden angelica, wild celery, and Norwegian angelica||Greenish-white||June to August||3.00 to 6.00 feet||easy to grow|
Planting and care
You should plant Angelica annually to ensure a continued supply of the herb.
Angelica plant is considered a short-lived perennial or biennial.
It flowers after two years and then either dies or may hang on for another year or two.
Growing Angelica indoors is optimum in cooler climates. Set the plants out before they get taller than 4 inches, as they grow a long taproot and transplant is difficult if they get larger.
Angelica herb can also be started from division of the roots in spring.
|Full sun to part shade||well-drained soil||Medium to wet||(27Â°C)||Apply any organic fertilizer|
Caring for Angelica archangelica
- The herb prefers cool climates and a semi-shady to sunny location.
- If planted in a zone with hot summers, a dappled shade location will provide protection for the heat sensitive plant.
- Angelica herb thrives in moist fertile soils rich in organic matter.
- For best results, plant Angelica in slightly acidic soil.
- The plant is not drought tolerant and should not be allowed to dry out.
- Angelica herb is easy to care for as long as it is in well drained soil with proper light exposure. Keep weeds away from the plant and maintain moderately moist soil. Water the plant from the base to prevent fungal diseases.
- Cut the stalk at the end of the first year to promote flowering in the second.
Typical uses of Angelica archangelica
Special features: This is a large biennial that needs lots of space, some shade, and moist to wet soils.
Ornamental use: In the garden Angelica gives height to borders.
Medicinal use: Angelica is used for heartburn, intestinal gas (flatulence), loss of appetite (anorexia), arthritis, circulation problems
You may browse related categories
Want to write review ?Click here to Login
What garden lovers say ... ?
There are yet no reviews for this product.