Nariyal, Coconut (Green, Grown through seeds) - Plant
Description for Nariyal, Coconut (Green, Grown through seeds)
A coconut tree is an exceptional plant which is at home in tropical countries. With its pinnate leaves the coconut palm is beautiful to look at.If you have access to a fresh coconut, you might think that it would be fun to grow a coconut plant, and you would be right. Growing a coconut palm tree is easy and fun. Below you will find the steps for planting coconuts and growing coconut palms from them..
Coconuts are exotic, edible fruits produced in coconut trees. The coconut tree is a kind of palm tree with a single, straight trunk and it has got lots of uses and great importance since prehistoric times. It is one of those trees where you can find uses for all the parts including the fruits, wood and leaves. In many places in South India, coconut trees are widely cultivated and they are grown in homes as well as farms for profit as well as for home use.
Easily grown in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils in full sun. Prefers fertile, slightly alkaline, loose, somewhat gritty loams with good drainage. Add lime to acidic soils to adjust the soil pH. Best grown with regular and consistent moisture during the growing season.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|nariyal,coconut,daap,kopra||white flower seen inside coconut when broken(its seen rarely)||May to june.||Upto 30 m||Easy to grow.|
Planting and care
To start to grow a coconut plant, begin with a fresh coconut that still has the husk on it. When you shake it, it still should sound like it has water in it. Soak it in water for two to three days. After the coconut has soaked, place it in a container filled with well-draining potting soil.
|Full sun.||Well-drained soil. The soil should be sandy-loamy and alkaline which is the beach/cayes environment.||From May to September, the palm should be abundantly watered ,however without drowning the plant. From October, the amount of water can be slightly reduced.||21 C and above||Starting in spring, the coconut palm should be fertilized with liquid fertilizer.|
Caring for Nariyal
- First, water the coconut tree frequently. As long as the soil drains well, you really cant water it too often.
- If you decide to repot your coconut tree, remember to add sand or vermiculite to the new soil to keep the water draining well.
- Second, growing coconut palms are heavy feeders that require regular, complete fertilizer.
- Look for a fertilizer that provides both the basic nutrients plus trace nutrients like boron, manganese and magnesium.
- Third, coconut palms are very cold sensitive.
- If you live in an area that gets cold, your coconut plant will need to come inside for the winter.
- Provide supplemental light and keep it away from drafts.
- In the summer, grow it outdoors and make sure you place it in a very sunny and warm spot.
Typical uses of Nariyal
Culinary use: As most of us already know, the most common uses come from the edible fruits known as coconuts. Coconuts can be eaten either raw or cooked and they are rich in vitamins, minerals and powerful antioxidants. The white flesh of the fruit need to be separated from the outer hard shell and you may use a coconut scraper to grate the fruit or use a coconut meat removal knife to separate the flesh, after opening the shell. The freshly grated coconuts can be easily added to your recipes or you can store it in refrigerator for few days.
Coconut milk is also very popular and it is widely used in many Asian cuisines, especially in South India, Sri Lanka and Thailand. It is usually used to thicken soups and stews and you can also use it as a substitute for milk. Coconut water is different from the coconut milk. When you break the hard shell of coconut to open it, the fruit has a mildly sweet water inside which is known for its extreme health benefits. This is wonderful natural drink and it is very popular during the summer season.
- http://www.gardena.com/ie/garden-life/garden-magazine/grow-your-own-coconut-palm/ http://violetterose.hubpages.com/hub/Uses-Of-Coconut-Trees
You may browse related categories
Want to write review ?Click here to Login
What garden lovers say ... ?
can I grow absolutely indoor or outdoor? or partly indoor or outdoor?
Do we have to replant it when this will be get delivered to us at home?
Is it a live plant?