Melastoma decemfidum - Plant
Melastoma is a genus in the family Melastomataceae. It has about 50 species distributed around Southeast Asia, India, and Australia. It is undergoing taxonomic revision
Common name: Malabar Melastome, Indian-rhododendron
Bloom time: May to June
Height: 2.00 to 3.00 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
Plants do not thrive in Zones 9 to 10 without a period of refrigeration; they need a cold, dormant period. Select a site with soil that drains well. How can you tell? After a good rain, find a spot that is the first to dry out. Water trapped beneath the scales may rot the bulb, so a well-drained site is essential.
Sunlight: Part shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Diligently water your plants.
- Soak the entire root zone at least twice a week in dry summer weather.
- Avoid frequent shallow sprinklings, which wonâ€™t reach the deeper roots and may encourage fungus.
- Plants do best with 90 inches of rain per year, so unless you live in a rain forest, water regularly.
Where winter hardy, grow in mass, in groups or as specimens in shrub borders, mixed borders, woodland gardens and shade gardens. In St. Louis, site this shrub in protected locations, including along walls and foundations that face south.
- In Tahiti, M.
- malabathricum is used to treat diarrhea and dysentery with its bark decoction used as gargle .
- The Naga tribe of Manipur district, India, used the fresh and dry leaves of M.
- malabathricum to treat cuts and wounds, stomach disorder, and fever .
- Dec 28, 2011
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
for medicinal use