Manihot esculanta variegata - Plant
Description for Manihot esculanta variegata
Manihot esculenta is a woody shrub native to South America of the spurge family, Euphorbiaceae. It is extensively cultivated as an annual crop in tropical and subtropical regions for its edible starchy tuberous root, a major source of carbohydrates.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|cassava, manioc, tapioca, yuca, Marachini, Mara valle kilangu, Maravalli, Simla aloo, Simul alu||-||Seasonal bloomer||6.00 to 10.00 feet||Easy to grow|
Planting and care
- Good cassava plant care should include the use of a slow release fertilizer in spring.
- Keep the plants moderately moist. To preserve the plant, move it to a pot indoors before freezing temperatures.
- Overwinter cassava in a warm, well-lit location and transplant outside when soils heat back up.
|Full Sun to Partial Shade||well-drained soil||Medium||16C - 25C||Apply any organic fertilizer|
Caring for Manihot esculanta variegata
- Provide plants with a slow-release fertilizer at the start of the season, and water as needed. Before the first frost, place plants indoors in a warm area under fluorescent lights until spring. Propagation: In midwinter, place two- to three-node stem cuttings flat on the soil surface.
Typical uses of Manihot esculanta variegata
Special features: Root crop in tropical to semi-tropical areas. Foliage annual or container plant for areas that are not frost-free.
Ornamental use: The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
Medicinal use: Cassava (Manihot esculenta) is a plant sometimes used as an herbal remedy. The root of the plant is also used to make tapioca, a starch found in puddings and other foods. The plant s leaves, meanwhile, have been found to contain protein, carotene, and lysine.
- http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?taxonid=280113&isprofile=0& http://www.flowersofindia.net/risearch/search.php?query=cassava&stpos=0&stype=AND
Want to write review ?Click here to Login
What garden lovers say ... ?
There are yet no reviews for this product.