Description for Oregano
A member of the mint family, oregano is commonly used in Italian dishes and is a component of chilli powder. This low-growing plant also makes an attractive ground cover.
Oregano scientifically named Origanum vulgare by Carolus Linnaeus, is a common species of Origanum, a genus of the mint family (Lamiaceae). It is native to warm-temperate western and southwestern Eurasia and the Mediterranean region.
Culinary oregano is a signature flavor of many Italian, Mexican and Spanish dishes. Most cooks are familiar with it in its dried form, but oregano is a hardy perennial plant that is easy to grow in the home garden. A handful of plants will provide you with enough oregano to use fresh in season and to dry for use throughout the winter.
There are many varieties, but the most common variety for cooking is Greek oregano. The more pungent Mexican oregano, Lippia graveolens, isn t really an oregano at all. Mexican oregano is often used in chili powders. Golden oregano is very ornamental, but not as flavourful.
Planting and care
st to shear plants back regularly before flowering to keep the planting tidy and to induce growth of new leaves. Best propagated from cuttings taken from plants whose leaves have a proven superior aroma/taste (seed-grown plants sometimes have little aroma or flavor) when harvest of leaves for culinary purposes is desired.
Caring for Oregano
- Allow oregano to grow to about 4 inches and then pinch or trim lightly to encourage a denser and bushier plant.
- Regular trimming will not only cause the plant to branch again, but also avoid legginess.
- Oregano doesnâ€™t need quite as much water as most herbs. As the amount of watering depends on many variables, just water when the soil feels dry to the touch.
- Remember that itâ€™s better to water thoroughly and less often.If you have a container, water until the water comes out of the drainage holes in the bottom of the container.
- To ensure the best-quality plants, thin out plants that are 3 or 4 years old in the early spring. Oregano is self-seeding, so the plants will easily grow back.
- You can divide the plants in late spring if you want to put one indoors.
Typical uses of Oregano
Special features: Oregano is a wonderful perennial culinary and medicinal herb. It has long been recognized as one of the "functional foods" for its nutritional, antioxidants and disease preventing properties.
Ornamental use: Dried oregano flower stalks may be used in craft-making (e.g. wreaths).
Medicinal use: Possible health benefits of Oregano. The herb is used to treat respiratory tract disorders, gastrointestinal (GI) disorders, menstrual cramps, and urinary tract disorders. The herb is also applied topically to help treat a number of skin conditions, such as acne and dandruff.
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments
Is this vegetable seeds are hybrid or non hybrid ?
Came on time... and the plant seems to be growing really fast. Hope I get a vegetable soon.
Good quality seeds, sprouted in couple of weeks
Superb! Amazing! Excellent ????... Superb germination and healthy plants! Almost all seeds germinated.... The germination rate is 95%, superb quality seeds
Great Seeds. I got 100 % success germination , that too in 2 days itself instead of 7days that usually is the duration. Awesome
Any query about 1+1 oregano - seeds