Description for Chives
Chives are a perennial member of the onion family that sport beautiful purple flowers.
Chives are cool-season, cold-tolerant perennials that are planted in early spring.
Be mindful when planting this herb, as it will take over your garden if the flowers are left to ripen (the flowers scatter the seeds). However, this plant is easy to dig up and move if it overwhelms your garden.
Planting and care
Propagate by seed, division or separation - Direct seed, divide or transplant in spring or fall.
Germination temperature: 45 F to 95 F
Days to emergence: 7 to 21
Seed can be saved 3 years.
Caring for Chives
- In spring or fall, direct seed onto well-prepared seedbed (covering very lightly), or transplant established plants.
- If starting from seed, plants probably wonâ€™t be large enough to harvest for at least a year.
- Regular cutting helps keep plants vigorous and healthy and encourages spreading.
- Keep flowers picked to discourage dormancy in warm weather.
- No fertilizer is needed if planted in reasonably fertile soil.
- Plants harvested frequently benefit from nitrogen top-dressing.
- Divide and replant clump in fresh soil every three to five years.
Typical uses of Chives
Special features: Garlic chives and chives both have garlic flavour, and belong to a different species, Allium tuberosum. They grow taller (up to 2 feet) than common garden chives, and have white flowers.
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments
I planted the seeds in a vermincompost/soil mix outside in the shadow. Since it is very hot right now it is perfect for tomatos to grow. The seeds germinated a few days after planting them
All the seeds germinated. Now I have way too many seedlings.
Great Seeds. I got 100 % success germination , that too in 2 days itself instead of 7days that usually is the duration. Awesome
Best buy....paisa vasool seeds pack
Seeds germinated fast, in 1 week. Thanks.
Any query about 1+1 chives - seeds