Potted in 5 inch black polybag
Description for Strobilanthes dyeriana, Peacock Plant, Persian Shield
The dark green foliage with bright, metallic-purple stripes radiating outward from the central leaf vein. The flowers tend to be small and are out shown by the leaves.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Peacock Plant, Persian Shield||Pale purple flowers||Fall / Winter||Up to 36 inches||Easy to grow|
Planting and care
Growing Persian shield requires warm temperatures and sultry humid air. Persian Shield grows best outdoors, although it can survive in other zones as a houseplant given sufficient temperature, soil moisture, and humidity. You can start Persian Shield from seed or cuttings.
|Full sun to partial shade||Well-drained, Loam Soil||Medium||18 to 30 degrees C||Use any organic fertilizer|
Caring for Strobilanthes dyeriana
- Grow in the humid climate in the rich well-drained soil.
- Give some shade during the hottest parts of the summer.
- Do not prune the leaves back immediately after flowering.
- It will need minimum feeding at the start of the season and again about mid-way through the summer.
- Avoid chlorinated water, it will damage the leaves.
- Aphids and Whiteflies can become pests, look for the attack and act soon.
Typical uses of Strobilanthes dyeriana
Special features: Persian shield is a phenomenal foliar specimen.
Culinary use: NA
Ornamental use: It can be grown as an annual bedding plant or in containers. It can be used as a houseplant.
Medicinal use: NA