Thimble Cactus - Plant
Description for Thimble Cactus
Mammillaria propagation is similar to that of almost any other plant. Usually seedling takes a quite long time to form plants, so many people consider pruning a great way of plant division. How to prune mammillaria? There are little offsets, clustering around the plant. They can be easily pulled away and placed in a dry and warm location to form calluses. As this is an indoor plant, it is essential to know how to grow it in pots. Cacti like being in little pots and require repotting every 3-5 years.
In cultivation the temperature must be kept between 20 and 30 degree Celsius. It is allowed to fall to 15 degree at night, when it is summer time, and to 18 degree during winter months. One of the optimal ways of keeping the plant during the summer is growing it outside starting from May and through September. Simply place it in a sunny spot, as there it can get strong sunlight. Make sure it avoids the strongest midday sun. Starting from September and up to May cacti must be moved to cool west or east windowsills.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Mammillaria Gracilis Fragilis,||the flower of the plant may be straw-yellow or violet, white or red, pink, etc.||-||They usually grow up to around 5 to 6 inches, so they'll be perfect for your indoor succulent collection. When one of the pieces breaks off, they can usually be propagated into a whole new plant.||Easy to grow|
Planting and care
Mammillaria propagation is similar to that of almost any other plant. Usually seedling takes a quite long time to form plants, so many people consider pruning a great way of plant division.
|Direct or indirect sunlight||-||Medium||In cultivation the temperature must be kept between 20 to 30 degrees. It is allowed to fall to 15 degrees at night, when it is summer time, and to 18 degrees during winter months.||-|
Caring for Thimble Cactus
- During winter months you should better keep the plant almost completely dry. Water it only to prevent the drying of roots (normally, once per month is enough).
- Starting from March, the growing process is going to start. This is when watering must be increased until late May, as the plant is in its full growth.
- Safely water the cactus once per week during summer months. Add as much water as the pot of the plant is allowed to drain.
- When the temperature is extremely high, you must water the plant once per day.
- Starting from late September the watering process must be reduced in order to force the plant going in to a condition of semi dormancy.
- Before November comes, you are to get back to the winter-type watering regime.
- A rich and fast-draining soil mix is another tip for proper care for mammillaria.
They can be easily pulled away and placed in a dry and warm location to form calluses. As this is an indoor plant, it is essential to know how to grow it in pots. Cacti like being in little pots and require repotting every 3 to 5 years.
Typical uses of Thimble Cactus
Want to write review ?Click here to Login
What garden lovers say ... ?
It came well packed and is exactly how they show it
Do we have to replant it when this will be get delivered to us at home?
Does it comes with soil?