Description for Cineraria
Cineraria grow well in low term greenhouses, blooming in 7-9 months after planting. The plant has small yellow blossoms, pink, blue, purple flowers.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Senecio cruentus||Pink, blue, purple||They are a true annual and only flower one time in their lifespan.||3 feet tall and wide.||Medium|
Planting and care
When grown in pots or planters, Cinerarias should be planted in a loose, rich, peat moss based potting mix with good drainage. Once they begin to bloom they prefer to be kept somewhat root-bound. Indoors, keep your Cineraria in filtered sun or bright light. Do not allow the soil to dry out, but be careful not to over water. Cinerarias like it cool, and will bloom for a much longer period with daytime temperatures of 65Â° and 50Â°-55Â° at night.
|Cineraria need a high light area but should be away from any direct light. They also like a more humid environment. This can be achieved by placing the pot on a tray of pebbles that is filled with water.||Do not allow the soil to dry out.||Keep soil moist throughout the growing season.||Cinerarias like cool temperatures around 45Â° to 55Â° F.||Apply any organic fertilizer.|
Caring for Cineraria
- Cinerarias like cool temperatures around 45Â° to 55Â° F.
- When temperatures are to warm, above 60Â°, the flowers open and die quicker. Cold drafts are another possible problem for this plant.
- They can cause wilting or yellow leaves to develop.
- This plant needs consistent water and should feel moist at all times.
- Cineraria need a high light area but should be away from any direct light. They also like a more humid environment.
- This can be achieved by placing the pot on a tray of pebbles that is filled with water.
Keep several flowers on the plants to go to seed if you want to start them from seed next year. Harvest them when they are white and fluffy.
Typical uses of Cineraria
Special features: Cinerarias can be propagated with stem cuttings taken at any time during the summer months.
Ornamental use: The plant is used for ornamental purpose.