The plant is potted in 6 inch plastic Pot
Description for Dragon Fruit, Ajagar Phal ( Grown through seeds )
The exact origin is unknown but is likely from Southern Mexico through Costa Rica. A truly amazing cactus, Dragon Fruit Cactus is a highly prolific climber with an epiphytic nature using aerial roots to help propel itself ever higher and farther along whatever path it can find to reach lengths of up to 10 feet or more. Easily adapted to a variety of climates and soils this night blooming cactus is world renowned and is cultivated around the world in tropical regions for the fruit it bears.
Planting and care
Cutting and seeds are used for propagation Dragon fruit plant.
Caring for Dragon Fruit
- Dragon Fruit Cactus must be treated like a Tropical Cactus and water when nearly dry but try to keep the climbing pole moist.
- An automatic dripper at the top of the post works well.
- Well-drained, sandy cactus mix.
- Remember to try to stay away from wet, soggy soils.
- Fertilizer can be detrimental to Dragon Fruit Cactus and too much can kill the plant so fertilize sparingly with low-nitrogen cactus fertilizer, slow time release is best.
- For in-ground planting, broadcast a balanced granular fertilizer once a month. Dragon Fruit Cactus are light feeders, however unfertilized they will tend to grow very slowly and virtually remain dormant.
These plants start bearing fruits in the first year itself. Generally, these plants starts flowering in May to June month and bears fruits from Aug to Dec month.
Typical uses of Dragon Fruit
Medicinal use: This fruit helps in controlling diabetes, preventing arthritis, improving heart health, weight management, fighting against aging, preventing asthma, lowering cholesterol.
This fruit is high in fats and proteins. This fruit is high in vitamins & minerals. This fruit is a good source of antioxidants.