Black Turmeric, Kali Haldi - Plant
( 135 times booked in last 90 days )
The pack contains 5 seed packets of
- Radish F1 Great Long White - Seeds
- Coriander Imported - Seeds
- Cucumber F1 Samber Selection - Seeds
- Methi Kasturi, Fenugreek - Seeds
- Sunflower Large Bloom - Seeds
*Use coupon : NLWKGP
-High Quality 8 inch Plastic Pot with each plant.
-Offer Valid on orders with 3 or more Plants
The rhizome of black turmeric has a high economic importance owing to its putative medicinal properties. In west Bengal, the rhizome of the plant is used in Kali Puja, and hence the plant is called Kali haldi. By etymology, Kali is the feminine form of Kala, which means black color and hence the plant is termed as black turmeric in English
Common name: Kali haldi, Krishna kedar
Height: 1.5 to 3 feet
Difficulty level: Easy
Planting & Care
Curcuma Caesia usually grows in moist deciduous forests.
Sunlight: Turmeric prefers warm direct or indirect sun.
Soil: It is grown on different types of soils from light black, ashy loam and red soils clay loam s. However, it thrives the best in a well-drained sandy or clayey loam.
Water: Keep it damp but not sopping wet or the root may rot.
Fertilizer: Bi-monthly or even weekly feeding with a liquid fertilizer is ideal.
- The crop is to be mulched immediately after planting with green leaves at the rate of 12-15 tonnes per hectare.
- It may be repeated for a second time after 50 days with the same quantity of green leaves after weeding and application of fertilizers.
- The rhizome of the plant is aromatic, contains essential oil and used for a variety of purposes.
- The characteristic pungent smell of the rhizome is due to the presence of essential oil rich in camphor and starch.
The rhizome is traditionally used in the treatment of hemorrhoids, leprosy, asthma, cancer, fever, wounds, vomiting, menstrual disorder, anthelmentic, aphrodisiac, gonorrheal discharges and inflammation.
Furthermore, the smooth muscle relaxant, anti-tumour and anti-oxidant properties of Curcuma Caesia rhizome extract had been reported.