Mimusops Elengi - 0.5 Kg Seeds
( 0 times booked in last 90 days )
The pack contains 5 seed packets of
- Radish F1 Great Long White - Seeds
- Coriander Imported - Seeds
- Cucumber F1 Samber Selection - Seeds
- Methi Kasturi, Fenugreek - Seeds
- Sunflower Large Bloom - Seeds
*Use coupon : NLWKGP
Leadtree is valued as an excellent protein source for cattle fodder, consumed browsed or harvested, mature or immature, green or dry. The nutritive value is equal to or superior to alfalfa. Leadtree has gained a favorable reputation in land reclamation, erosion control, water conservation, reforestation and soil improvement programs, and is a good cover and green manure crop.
Common name: Coffee bush, cow tamarind, horse tamarind, jumbie bean, leadtree, leucaena, white leadtree, wild tamarind, mlusina, lusina (Kiswahili)
Bloom time: Summer
Height: Up to 2-10 m tall
Difficulty level: Very Easy
Planting & Care
Seed should be sown 2.5–7.5 cm deep, planting at onset of wet season. Leadtree responds favorably to fertilizer and lime. Irrigation and cultivation may be necessary. The crop soon produces a dense stand.
Sunlight: Full Sun
Soil: Plant in sandy, well-drained soil.
Fertilizer: A slow release fertilizer may be used each spring.
- Grown in dense rows as a living fence and used to support vine crops such as pepper and passionfruit.
- The most commonly researched species for alley farming systems.
Harvesting: The crop can be cut at any stage for silage or fodder.
- Requires temperatures of 25-30ºC for optimum growth.
- Growth ceases at 15-16ºC.
- Light frosts will kill leaf.
- Very heavy frosts will kill stems back to ground level but will not kill mature plants.
Leucaena leucocephala is a prolific seed producer and it also resprouts after its stems are cut or damaged.
The foliage and pods of leucaena contain the toxic amino acid mimosine.