Hophornbeam - Plant
( 0 times booked in last 90 days )
The pack contains 5 seed packets of
- Radish F1 Great Long White - Seeds
- Coriander Imported - Seeds
- Cucumber F1 Samber Selection - Seeds
- Methi Kasturi, Fenugreek - Seeds
- Sunflower Large Bloom - Seeds
*Use coupon : NLWKGP
-High Quality 8 inch Plastic Pot with each plant.
-Offer Valid on orders with 3 or more Plants
Common name: Ostrya virginiana,eastern hop hornbeam
Color: brown, green
Bloom time: April
Height: 25.00 to 40.00 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
American hophornbeam likes full sun or partial shade. It prefers slightly acidic soil and well-drained sites. It loves hilly areas, and in the wild, often grows in fairly dry, even rocky soil. It is hardy in Zones 3 to 9.
The tree should be mulched and watered until it is established. Although it is not sensitive to drought, it can t survive flooding. It is also very sensitive to deicing salt.
This tree has no serious pest problems, although it can be susceptible to chestnut borer if it is under stress. In the woods, it is one of the first trees to be defoliated by gypsy moth.
Sunlight: Full sun to part shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Temprature: 13° C (56° F).
Fertilizer: apply any organic fertilizer
- American hop hornbeam is a deciduous, Missouri native tree which usually occurs in dry soils on rocky slopes, upland woods and bluffs throughout the State.
- A small to medium-sized, understory tree with a generally rounded crown.
Typically grows 25-40 tall with a slightly smaller spread.
- Features birch-like, oval to lance-shaped, sharply-serrated, dark yellowish-green leaves (to 5" long).
- Leaves turn an undistinguished yellow in autumn and often drop early.
Flowers are monoecious (reddish-brown male flowers and greenish female flowers appear in separate catkins on the same tree).
- Flowers are not particularly showy, although the male catkins are more prominent and are present throughout winter.
No serious insect or disease problems.
- cough syrup, and in a medicine for kidney disorders.
for medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor before use.