Shirley Poppy Red - Seeds
( 314 times booked in last 90 days )
The pack contains 5 seed packets of
- Radish F1 Great Long White - Seeds
- Coriander Imported - Seeds
- Cucumber F1 Samber Selection - Seeds
- Methi Kasturi, Fenugreek - Seeds
- Sunflower Large Bloom - Seeds
*Use coupon : NLWKGP
Note: Please use the seeds for growing plant only. The seeds must not be eaten.
Poppy plant is a native of Asia. Poppy seeds are founded in poppy heads. They are recommended in many prescriptions for tonics. The plant is endowed with roots of strong fragrance. It is an erect ,annual herb with smooth surface and latex in all parts. The sap of the plant contains oxalic acid and opium which has 25 , the chief being morphine, codeine, thelaine, narcotine, narceine and papaverine.
Properties :- Poppy seeds are effective in thirst, fever, inflammation and irritation of the stomach. The root is employed as one of the ingredients in several cooling medicines. The essence of the root is used as tonic because of its stimulating qualities. It is an easy to make home remedy for dysentery. About quarter teaspoon of the powder of poppy seeds are sauted to a golden brown in honey. It is taken twice daily to relief from the symptoms. Poppy seeds ground to paste with lime juice are effective when rubbed on the areas effected by dry itch
Poppy Plant Care
Poppy plants are generally easy to take care of and are great plants to have because they are simple to grow, low maintenance, and are absolutely beautiful. Of course, if you don't know the general rules for caring for poppy flowers, your poppies may be doomed. Here are some things to keep in mind when caring for them to ensure proper health and maintain their beauty.
Make Sure There Is Sun
Poppies need a full day's worth of sun each day, and if they can't get a full day's worth of sun, try to supplement natural light with artificial light. Sun will be important to their growth because they can't grow without enough sun.
Give Them Room
You don't want to bunch your poppies together, which will hinder growth and possibly hurt your flowers. Since they grow fairly tall, spread them a couple of feet apart so they have enough space to grow and don't feel crowded.
Poppies use a lot of water, but absolutely hate being overwatered. Soil that is overwatered may cause poppies to drown or may cause mold to grow on their roots. Maintain proper drainage by using soil that's been aerated, or soil that's rich with earthworms that can help in creating drainage.
Keep Them Warm
Like many delicate and beautiful plants, poppies cannot handle the cold, so control their temperature as much as possible, which includes bringing them indoors during the winter times because snow and freezing temperatures will be very unkind to your poppies.
Poppies do better without too much fertilization, which can hurt the plant. With too much fertilizer, the poppy flowers won't grow. Poppies are used to soil without a lot of fertilizer, so soil with too much fertilizer will be a shock to their system.
To keep soil moist and to protect it from too much heat, add mulch. Moist soil is perfect for poppy flowers that love water. Mulch also helps prevent bad weeds from growing, which can damage your poppy flowers and are an incredible pain to get rid of as a gardener.
Medicinal uses of poppy seeds:
- About 30 gms of milk extracted from the poppy seeds mixed with sugar can be used for treating insomnia. A teaspoon of poppy seeds oil taken every night is also very effective.
- Poppy seeds are used as a home remedy for dysentery. About quarter teaspoon of the powder of poppy seeds are sauted to a golden browen in honey. Taken twice a day, it gives relief from the symptoms. As these seeds have a sedative effect, they should not be taken for more than three days continuously.
- The poppy plant has many uses as external remedy. A paste of the root rubbed on the skin can remove burning sensation of the body. A paste of its pulverized rots in water can be used as a cooling agent, It finds use in external application in fevers.
- Poppy seeds contain Linoleic acid that is beneficial in preventing heart disorders and abdomen conditions.
Poppy seeds act as a supply of your daily dose of minerals like iodine, manganese, zinc, magnesium and copper.