Spring Cut Bunching Onion - Seeds
Common name: green onion, and spring onion
Bloom time: July-October.
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
One of the main reasons I grow these perennial vegetables is because they provide a high yield for the minimal space they need to grow. In the subtropics, they can be planted pretty much all year round. They grow equally well in containers as in the garden. Spring onions grow in a greenhouse in winter and even in water on your kitchen bench!
Sunlight: Full Sun
Soil: well-drained soil
Temprature: 20 degrees F.
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Spring onions grow to about 30-50cm (12-20in) singly or in clumps, depending on which variety you grow.
- They have a very shallow root system so can be grown in even the smallest of pots.
- Using a small fork, gently loosen the soil under the plant to harvest the bulbs.
- Brush off the soil and trim the roots.
- Hang the bulbs up in bunches until the leaf tops dry out completely.
- Then snip the leaves off above the bulb and store in a cool, dark and dry spot.
- This can extend your harvest for months!
The more mature the plant, the stronger the flavour so if you want a mild onion taste, choose young slender leaves.
- help to lower cholesterol;
have antibacterial and antifungal qualities;
help relieve sinus and chest ailments, asthma and bronchitis;
contain an anticoagulant (cycloallin) which helps thin the blood and protect the heart; are high in sulphur so help purify the blood, clear the skin, cleanse the liver and build the immune system.
for medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor before use.
You may also need below items for gardening
Recommended Planters :
Add a splash of beauty to balconies, patios, walls, fences & window sills with durable,light weight, Rotomolded planters.
Buy ready to use nutrient rich soil:
In general use a soil-based compost placed over a generous layer of drainage material such as earthenware crocks, pebbles or gravel. Water and feed regularly, especially while plants are bearing flowers and fruit, when a high-potash fertilizer is recommended.
Buy Decorative Pebbles :
Decorate planters or garden landscapes with these decorative pebbles :
Using pebbles in a garden brings different colours and textures to the garden. Pebbles can also fill up otherwise empty space in the garden, leaving a visual that might be considered more interesting and aesthetic than simple dirt, soil or mulch.